Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krokill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Help my security deposit!
    Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.)

Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate laundry/dishes/vacuuming when work gets busy). When I moved out, I got the apt professionally cleaned - it was pristine.

Can she do this!? She never even mentioned to me that she cannot show the apt because it was "filthy" until July 17!

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Get an affadavit from the cleaning company that the apartment was left in clean condition. Check the lease about what the security deposit can be used for.

Send her the affadavits with a threat to take her to small claims court.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2006, 11:09 AM
    In my state I must provide an itemized list of moneys reduced from the deposit in order to retain any of it.

Here are PA's Landlord-Tenant Laws for you to take a gander through to confirm the Landlord's responsibility:
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/68.Cp.8.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Read Section 250.512 on the link Rick provided. The key sentence from the landlord's perspective is this one:

Nothing in this section shall preclude the landlord from refusing to return the escrow fund, including any unpaid interest thereon, for nonpayment of rent or for the breach of any other condition in the lease by the tenant.

However, for the landlord to invoke that clause there must be a provision in the lease that requires the tenant to provide access for showing the apartment to prospective tenants. So the specific wording of that provision is what may be at issue here. If the landlord did not inform you they could not show the apartment because of its condition, I would say they forfeited those rights.

Bottom line, based on what you told us, with the cleaning company's statement you should have no problem getting your deposit back, though it may require a trip to small claims court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all I am new here. I was researching laws on security deposits and found this fourm. So here is the story... In August of 2004 my husband and I were 15 days late on the rent. We tried talking to our Landlord to tell him we were expecting money in October and to let us pay rent as usual...

Security deposit interest [ 2 Answers ]

In Massachusetts, when a tenant moves out and the damages go over the amount of the security deposit, can you also keep the interest on that account towards repairs or do you have to give them the interest back on the security deposit and last months rent? It is a matter of cents. In...

How To Get Security Deposit Back! [ 18 Answers ]

Hello all, My wife and I started renting an apartment in Virginia back in August on a month to month basis. We never had a check list from the landlord to assess the condition of the apartment. Among other things, the carpet was in bad shape and it also smelled bad. Before we moved in, the...

Nonrefundable security deposit (PA) [ 10 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a nonrefundable security deposit in pa? I am trying to find a way out of my lease, but I am not sure the best way to do it. They say I have to give 3 months notice and pay 4 months rent as a fee. That would equal about $2000. They might have called it something besides a...

Security deposit increase? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been renting for approximately 2 years and was informed last month that a $300 increase in my security deposit is required with my next month's rent. Is this legal? The propoerty was sold about six months ago and I'm on a month-to-month lease which the only option given. I know they can...

View more questions Search