Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lakeledge Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Craftsman 9.5 B&S snowblower won't turn
    I thought the pull start was frozen. Trying to pull enough cord out for it to snap back I broke it. I tried the electric starter and just got a buzz. We had a few freeze and thaw cycles with wind and rain so I figured It was frozen up as well. I moved it in doors. All warmed up same buzz from the electric starter. Removing the pull start and cover for repair I noticed the electric start gear is all the way out. I removed it as well but still can only turn the flywheel 1/4 turn to a clunk stop each way by hand. What could be jammed?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 08:28 AM

Possibly a broken tooth form the fly whee of the starter and that jammed in the housing cover and flywheel or a tooth off the fly wheel gamed Pull your spark plugs so no compression in cylinders. Now turn flywheel ( battery discounted for safety) with the flywheel cover off or look for clearances there.
    Is the trans drive disengaged not in gear? If its in neutral and confirmed (check that linage for hang ups in rain etc) Normally you can't turn fly wheel much if in drive. The little starter wheel got stuck because either flywhell was jammned up or starter is bad.
    So fly wheel exposed free of obstructions around it and up under neath it.
    Plugs out
    In neutral
    Can't turn flywheel
    Possible a cracked piston ring Or the trans neutral is not working and stuck
    Obstruction in flywheel gears

Signed 21 boat

If I helped to answer your question please rate my answer

Dec 31, 2008, 12:54 PM

Hey 21boat
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Plug is out. Starter removed. No visible hangups. Turning flywheel by hand only 1/4 turn to a clunk in both directions. I hear/feel a slight grind at the end of the turn but only in one direction.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Ooohhh not good. ( I have been there before)I hope its not a cylinder ring or a piston pin. Try putting your ear at the spark open holes and turn flywheel again and see if there's is a crunching sound out of a cylinder. BOY I hope not.
    Now if this Clunk seems real solid and no louder sound out of cylinders we need to think a valve stuck/bent. Now its back to A drive trans mechanism is still hung up . When you hear this clunk also try this. Take a good long screwdriver and put your ear tight on the Handel and move the flywheel back and forth and touch the head of the motor with tip and like a stethoscope find the point where its loudest chase the clunk noise down and there might be your problem spot get back and tell me the results. If its possible look in the spark plug hole and see if you can see a cylinder wall and look for scrapes and even a small piece of metal. The other way to check the lower part of the piston and crank is to drain the oil and see if there is a metallic feel to it or a bit silvery looking or a small piece(s) metal shavings. Now before you get into this and drain oil. Please re check trans linkage from Handel to where it moves to put in gear for trans. Have auger in neutral check belt/chain drive to trans and to the thrower that actually throws the snow Sorry If I seem to be repeating myself. Get back

Signed 21 Boat

If I helped to answer your question please rate my answer

Dec 31, 2008, 06:25 PM

I am trying to get a moment to try that and I'll get back as soon as I can. I don't think it will get me going by morning and we are expecting 30+cm of snow in the next 24 hours.
    Happy New Year
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 06:29 PM

Hi,
    Classic broken rod sound to me.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    cosborne1962 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2018, 06:10 PM
    Magnets on flywheel broke off and lodged in the coil stopping flywheel from turning.Sorry 10 yrs late just had the problem myself today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Snowblower Model# 536.886120 [ 8 Answers ]

Can not find the manual for my Craftsman Snowblower Model# 536.886120? Is there any where I can down load a free copy?

Traction drive on a craftsman snowblower [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman snowblower that needs the sprocket changed that provides traction to the wheels. In order to get at the sprocket I need to remove the friction wheel, (not to be confused with the rubber friction disk) In order to get the disc out I need to remove the rod assembly as it prevents...

Craftsman snowblower augers turn slow [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, anybody know why the augers in my 9 horse craftsmen blower won't turn so well. It is about 8 years old (workhorse) and I have had problems shearing pins although they are currently intact. It would blow the light snow 4" in the main drive but at the end where the plow dumps, it would...

View more questions Search