Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blkjagg Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Furnace ignites but blower won't start till furnace shuts down.
    (Nordyne/Miller G3RA)-I have a furnace HSI(glow plug) that will ignite and burn until it gets too hot and shuts down. As soon as the furnace shuts down the blower starts to circulate air. The blower circulating air cools the furnace and it reignites.Shortly after the furnace ignites the blower stops circulating air the furnace overheats and shuts down again.The cycle continues until the house reaches the thermostat setting. What temp sensor controls the blower?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Actually the problem could be with the circuit board or the fan and limit switch if so equipped. The info I have for the G3 series says that it has a circuit board in the unit for controlling ignition and the blower. The blower is controlled in a timed fashion and what is happening is the board is not telling the blower to turn during normal operation. When the unit overheats it shuts off causing the board to go into safety condition and bringing the blower on to disapate the heat. Look in your unit to see if it contains a circuit board. It might be located in the blower compartment.

Note from the service manual.

Abnormal conditions: If a limit opens during
    operation, the inducer and circulating air blower
    continue to operate. The gas valve is deenergized
    immediately. The blowers continue
    to operate until the limit closes. When the limit
    closes the inducer blower is de-energized
    immediately. The circulating air blower continues
    to operate for the specified delay (factory
    Set at 120 seconds).

Dec 31, 2008, 09:27 AM

My unit has both a blower and ignition control ctk boards. Robert Shaw 9248(Ignition control)
    Thank you in advance

Dec 31, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Is the control board showing any flashed on the trouble indicator lite?
    If so how many flashes or blinks and then look on the back of the blower door at the diagram and post what the blink legend says.

Dec 31, 2008, 10:32 AM

Wish I could... no such troubleshooting tool.Is there any way to test blower and/or ignition control brds

Dec 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Did you check for the number of flashes on the circuit board? I am trying to narrow down the possible problem.

Dec 31, 2008, 03:53 PM

My particular unit doesn't have the flashing L.E.D for troublshooting However another suggestion you gave pointed me in the right direction to find the problem-What I found was a lose wire nut between the BlowerControl and the ignition control ctk brds. Thanks a 1,000,000 $

Dec 31, 2008, 04:01 PM
    The good thing is you have it running again. Happy New Year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace ignites then shuts down [ 3 Answers ]

When my Goodman furnace (CWP#00299785) turns on, the blower works and the burners ignite, but after a few seconds the burners extinguish. Then the burners ignite again for a few seconds and extinguish once again. Please tell me what part(s) I need and where those parts are located on the furnace....

Gas furnace ignites intermittently-ignites after removing cover from ignitor chamber [ 3 Answers ]

Unit: Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 gas furnace, with an HSI ignitor Symptom 1: Thermostat is calling for heat, as evidenced by a flame icon on thermostat face, but no action in the furnace. Symptom 2: Ignites only AFTER I initiate Action 2 below. Then it seems to work for a while, until the...

Furnace blower will not start up [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced my filters and after everything was put back together there is no response from the blower, the furnace will heat up but the blower does not respond. The filter cover has been replaced and the cut-off switch is be pressed. Thanks

Furnace not heating the house. Damper on the furnace not opening. Motor then shuts. [ 4 Answers ]

My forced-air furnace is not working correctly. The gas works heating the air in the furnace, but When the motor starts the damper doesn't open and the Motor shut down. I need suggestions?:mad:

Heil furnace fires up but blower motor shuts down [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Heil high efficiency furnace about 15 years old. Sometimes the burner will start and the exhaust blower then the blower fan will blow for a short time and stop. The burner will still be very hot. It used to continue to run until the furnace cooled down. What could be wrong?

View more questions Search