Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobolantern Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Network settings
    I Have a message in my dock that says, "Your network settings have been changed by another application" I have no idea how this happened. Now I cannot restart or shutdown my computer. Can anybody help? Thanks
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 31, 2008, 03:45 PM

This appears to be a problem related to the latest security update to 10.4.x - several threads out there suggest the following process to fix:

"Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    NetworkInterfaces.plist
    preferences.plist
    com.apple.nat.plist

All these files will regenerate as necessary when the associated system features are accessed. If you're using Airport or Internet Sharing you'll have to reestablish the appropriate settings, because these will have been lost when the preferences files are removed. Small price to pay, however for a permanent, and very simple solution to this irritating problem."

The .plist files are preference files, which is where your application preferences are stored. Since there are a lot of complaints out there about this one, I assume Apple will be providing a fix reasonably soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can not figure out my wireless network password, I have a router and wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

I have wireless network through, router. My wireless network password is saved on my laptop. My brother wants to use his laptop in my home using my wireless network, I know my ip address how do I give him password and key I have forgotten

Mapping network drive over wired/wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have a problem and have been looking for an answer for a week or two now. I hope someone here can help me because it's hard for our business to function without this mapped drive. Here's the deal. I manage my company's network, which was until recently shared between two buildings by...

In LAN settings, when I click on TCP/IP settings, it is not allowing me to open up. [ 4 Answers ]

In LAN settings, when I click on TCP/IP settings, it is not allowing me to open up.

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

View more questions Search