Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kuba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Social anxiety?
    Hi, I'm 16.
    First of all, I'm seeing psychiatrist for two years because of depressions, and neurologist because of chronic migraines (I have problems with attending school because of this - I'm usually at school five or six times a month).
    My oldest brother has died when I was 4. He was taking care of me and I loved him very much. I felt very anxious when being alone after that until I was about 10 or 11.
    Now I feel anxious when I have to be or talk with other people. It's not that bad with my family (although I sometimes feel bit anxious to start conversation with my parents). The two worst places are bus, where I feel like everyone is starring and laughing at me and school. I HATE talking in front of class, even if it is just one word, I never raise my hand even though I'm sure that I know the right answer. I don't talk with classmates and I really don't like when they're asking me about something. I also hate sitting next to a stranger in bus or cinema.
    I never really spoke to my psychiatrist about this. She has just told my mom that I'm introvert. She judges so because my hobbies are programming, watching movies and lonely walks in forest, where I don't meet anyone. It hasn't really changed since I'm seeing her.

So, is there anything I can do? I know it's not normal, but I just can't help it.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 02:26 PM

You'll just have to keep challenging yourself to move past the uncomfortable situations.

Tell yourself today that "I will raise my hand and answer (even if it is wrong.)"

I tend to be on the introverted side in person but am opinionated online. Find an outlet that allows you to work through your issues. It doesn't help that you are 16, too. It gets a little better the older you get.

Sorry about your brother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Anxiety. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 23. Also a university student and I have a good job. For the past 2 years, I discovered something about myself that I wish I hadn't uncovered. One day, I pretty much fell into a deep hole of loniless. I did not want to speak with anyone I knew and I wasn't living with my family. The...

Social Anxiety [ 4 Answers ]

For as long as I can remember I haven't been comfortable around other people. Its almost impossible for me to relax unless Im alone or with one or two other people that I know really well. Im a 17 and in high school, so pretty much around people all the time. I don't really talk to people at...

Manacled with social anxiety [ 1 Answers ]

I have social anxiety ,am I have to see a psychologyst or I can treat myself Knowing that psychology in my country is not that Advanced? Answer me please

Social Anxiety/depression [ 30 Answers ]

I'm 16 and have been dealing with severe social anxiety for about 10 years. It has turned into social phobia. I can't go anywhere by myself. I avoid going to school because I can't stand being around others. I think some of it has to do with being sexually molested by my brother for 2 years. ...

Social anxiety issues [ 1 Answers ]

I have had problems with social anxiety since my freshman year in high school. I had a horrible time that year and had many serious problems with anxiety- for example, I'd have anxiety attacks at school and cry before school all the time because I was so scared to have to go and talk to people. I...

View more questions Search