Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2006, 03:42 AM
    Distribution of Categorical terms
    Pleas can someone help me with the "Distribution of Categorical terms". I've read the text about it but still I can't understand the when a proposition refers to all the elements in a class and when it doesn't.

Eg.
    1. All S are P.
    Here they say that S is distributed and P is not. This one is clear since they are talking about all of the S but about a fraction (a small part) of P.

2. No S are P.
    Now this one drives me crazy. They say here both S and P are Distributed. I can see why S is distributed. But to me here P again seems Undistributed. Eg. If we state a concrete example such as "All cows are not mammals". Now here I can't understand how This proposition refers to all the elements of the Predicate "mammals".

3. Some S are P.
    This one is clear to me. Both remain undistributed.

4. Some S are not P.
    Here I have the same problem as that in "2".
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jul 18, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Your example for number 2 is slightly different from the form given. Try this example: "No lizards are mammals." This tells you something about every lizard, i.e. that there is no single lizard anywhere that is a mammal. However, it also tells you something about every mammal (there is no mammal anywhere that is a lizard). This is because "No S are P" and "No P are S" are interchangeable.

I'm not sure about number 4. I would say that 3 and 4 are identical, with both remaining undistributed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terms of Breaking a Lease [ 6 Answers ]

I need to break my lease in Florida. My lease if for 1 year. In my lease it doesn't specify what is done when a lease is broken. It does say that it follows Florida Statute Chapter 83 section II for everything not covered in the lease. I read through the chapter and it doesn't say what happens when...

Nautical terms [ 4 Answers ]

Any site for the nautical terms n its history(in brief)?

Accountancy Terms [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between an Invoice and a Bill?

View more questions Search