Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kenobi4 Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2006, 05:27 PM
    Nepal - Tibet
    Hi anyone,

I was looking for a way to get a long backpacking trip to Nepal?

STA travel offers something that would probably put me over $8000 including additional airfare and food for 28 days, Beijing to Nepal.

I found some random Nepal/Himalayas tour online ("Fest.Tour/Trekking: Kanchanjungha Kathmandu, Nepal From Eco-friendly Treks & Expedition Pvt. Ltd")that was 29 days long. Figuring all in (my own airfare, food, etc. in addition to the tour) was less than $3000 (with same budget for the non-included tour items).

Do you know if these sort of non-commercial trips are safe to invest in?

Also, do you know of any awesome, long backpacking tours in Asia/etc.

I'd really appreciate some tips!

Thanks

-D.:confused:
    China Photographer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Surely by this point you have made your long journey from China to Nepal, however for any future readers, I will do my best to answer this question.

With the new Lhasa Express railway from Beijing to Tibet, traveling in West China has never been easier. However, the railway will restrict the possibility of any true adventures and also prevent you from exploring the beautiful regions of northern and eastern Tibet.

Moreover, promotional tours sponsored by travel agencies often cost 5 or 10 times their true value, leaving yourself the tourist with empty pockets at the end of your holiday.

You can save thousands of dollars and also have a true backpacking adventure by doing it yourself. The first rule is to know that travel permits are NO LONGER REQUIRED to travel in Tibet. This is a myth that continues to be perpetuated by the local travel agenices to get as much of your dollar as possible. DO NOT purchase a permit because they are expensive and unnecessary.

To get to Nepal from China, you might want to follow a similar route that I traced, starting in Zhongdian, Yunnan province, through Kham, East Tibet, to Lhasa, then south down the Friendship Highway to Mount Everest and then into Nepal. You can do this either by bus, hitchhiking or an overland 4WD trip. The latter will be the most expensive option. The entire trip will take you a few weeks at the least, not including a Lhasa layover. You can find or post messages in local youth hostels and also the expat internet sites for other backpackers to join you on an overland expedition and share the cost.

Please read the following articles written by myself for more details about such a journey and the adventures to be had.

East Tibet
    West Tibet

And as always, don't hesitate to contact me for any other questions about backpacking in China.
    gorkha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 08:14 AM
    Offcourse I will help yuh man. In nepal like differe nt different culture n lot of moutain like mounteverst etc.
    Veroni Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2012, 01:41 AM
    Hi Kenobi... recently I have been to Nepal my problem was the same as some travel agencies have been a big thugs.. newa I researched a lot toked to many travel agents won't take name as they are really big brands.
    No doubt, promotional tours sponsored by travel agencies cost 5 or 10 times their true value, but it's not the case with all agencies I used to think the same till the time I visited few places and researched about Hotels accommodation,travelling and all and frankly telling you hotels charge you much more personally more than travel agents.It totally depends on you how oyu tackle travel agency I hired yatra.com all the time when I want to visit nywhere.. I would suggest you try their services..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search