Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reelhopper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch
    I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch?

Here's the problem:

1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high.

2. When the wall switch fan speed is set to high, the light dimmer functions perfectly. You can turn it off, on, and it goes through the full dimmer range.

3. But if the wall switch fan speed is changed to anything else, off, med, low1, low2, then the light goes out.

4. It doesn't matter what the fan speed is actually set to on the fan itself. For instance, if the fan is set to low, and the wall switch is set to high, the light still functions perfectly. Any other dimmer switch setting on the wall, and the light goes out.

What the...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
    It sounds like it's wired incorrectly. Remove the switch from the wall, swap the power and fan wires on the switch. It should work. If, after you do so, the fan control operates the light, and the light control operates the fan, switch the fan and light wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

Trouble wiring ceiling fan to light! [ 2 Answers ]

Novice here.. But I've done this before but can't get it rite this time.. URG... Have to replace the chain on ceiling fan.. fan works fine but no lite.. removed old chain but can't seem to get wires wired rite and can't get the lites to work.. The white wires are all set but don't know which of...

View more questions Search