Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MBrown2515 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Social Security
    I have a dumb question but need to know the answer. Is it illegal to use your child's social security number to purchase items online or to use as info for a bill payment? I heard of someone who did that but just need to know if illegal.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 02:50 PM

You can't use a SSN to purchase anything; it's a number issued to an individual as identification. If you're using someone else's number as your own, then yes, that's illegal.

Jan 1, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Ok, thanks for answering but will the system ever figure out that the number belongs to a child instead of an adult? And what will happen to that person?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 02:51 PM

I don't know exactly what could happen, but it is just plain wrong!

I have seen cases where a parent has such bad credit, that they use the child's SSN, and before they can even get started, the parent has ruined the child's credit along with their own.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MBrown2515 View Post
    Ok, thanks for answering but will the system ever figure out that the number belongs to a child instead of an adult? And what will happen to that person?

What will happen to which person? The child who presumably doesn't know his SS number is being used or the adult who is using it fraudulently?

Why don't you just post the situation instead of pieces of it so that the advice answers your questions - ?

Jan 5, 2009, 06:13 AM
    To answer the last person's comment... Not a really long story, but I know someone who uses her child's SSN and has been doing it for a while. I know it's wrong and I've told her that but need to know will she eventually get caught? And what will happen to her?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 06:20 AM

When the child gets older and tries to get credit, and can't then they may be able to press charges against parent and sue parent.

If they can't pay it back, and store sues, they may find fraud and call in the police for ID theft

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social Security Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Sir / Madam I am working in USA since last three months on J1 VISA. I am likely to return to India in another one year three months. t.e. my total stay in USA will be one year six months. Kindly advise me whether the Social Security Tax deductions from my pay are justified. Kesavarao

Social security [ 1 Answers ]

I work and get social security How much money can I earn without losing my social security I always send my copies of my checks to them the amount vaires biweekly and it no more than 200.00

View more questions Search