Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnmezell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Caulk vs. Grout
    Hi! I'm a newbie here and need to know something -- Are CAULK and GROUT the same thing?? If not, what is the difference? Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Not the same thing at all and not even related.

Grout is used to fill the spaces between tile. It dried hard like cement.

Caulk is designed to fill gaps between varying types of materials and remains flexible.

You'd call grout a "specific purpose" product, and caulk a "multi purpose" product.
    mnmezell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Thank you so much! We thought we had bought grout for the mosaic coffee table I'm in the middle of doing, but in trying to find it to finish the bathroom counter Hubby is doing, all we could find was new things of caulk, so I was confused! Hubby said the same as you, but I was convinced he was wrong -- oops! Thanks again and I guess we'd better keep looking to find that dang grout or it's back to Home Depot! :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Good luck with the project!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new shower with no-caulk drain... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts: I'm new to the forum, and I'm not a plumber - but I'm doing my second DIY bathroom remodel and I have just a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with... I'm replacing a leaky 36x36 shower pan in our master bath. I selected a larger Swanstone solid surface pan,...

Exterior - caulk instead of mortar? [ 1 Answers ]

In some modern commercial construction, I've seen something that looks like caulk instead of mortar at some large joints. I need to replace the mortar on my front porch bluestone steps and was interested in trying this instead of traditional mortar. Does anyone know what this material is?

Caulk or Grout in Glass Enclosed Shower Stall [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building (I own the apartment I live in). We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in three years ago, and put in a glass enclosed shower stall where a tub once lived. The shower stall has large ceramic tiles on the floor, and smaller differently-styled ceramic tiles...

Teflon tape or caulk/sealant? [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing the broken top section of a threaded Jones Stephens shower drain. The old section had plumbers putty used as a thread sealant on the PVC threads. The putty manufacturer says not to use it on plastic. Should I use teflon tape or a caulk/sealant (DAP KwidSeal for showers)?

Sanded vs Unsanded caulk? [ 2 Answers ]

I am grouting a new ceramic tiled counter top and can only find "unsanded" caulk in the same color as the grout? What can I do to make the caulk look "sanded"? Thanks, Kavanaugh

View more questions Search