Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Redz Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Owing a 10 year old bill
    I just received a phone call from a collection agency for a credit card from Sears that is 10 years ago owing.

They called me at work and said they can garnish my wages! Is this true!
    cuseguy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 01:29 PM

The short answer is no. But there are some exceptions. Most debts exhaust themselves after 7 years, unless there has been some kind of account activity, which can reset the collection clock. Such as you making a payment to them or to a collection agency representing them. If that hasn't occurred and this debt has truly been asleep for over 7 years, tell them to stuff it!

Dec 29, 2008, 02:06 PM

Wow, it just seemed like a real blast from the past.. I guess what the saying you past will catch up to you is true I guess I am to be thankful it has been 10 years thanks for the quick response!!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 06:21 AM

This happens a lot - some old debt that has been long ago resolved or written off gets sold for like $.03 per dollar to a collection agency. The agency then contacts you, sometimes posing as a law firm or other official agency and then use big words and threats of judgements, law suits and wage garnishment. They do this hoping you settle with them. If you figure, they buy a $5000 'debt' for $100 all they have to do is convince you to settle for $1000 and they just made a huge profit.

Also... get ready for it because you WILL see this 'debt' again. When you don't pay them they will sell it to another agency.

I have an old debt from a health club that I joined in 1991. I paid it off in 1996 after it had transferred to collections. Now, every year or so I get a letter from another collection agency trying to get me to pay them the original $800 and thousands in interest. They, of course, are willing to settle for $1000 if paid in full within 30 days.

While not technically a scam or illegal, the collection has no legal recourse against you if you ignore them. Tell them to take you to court. You'll be happy to discuss it there!

Dec 30, 2008, 07:07 AM

One more thought... Make sure that this debt is no showing as a negative account on your credit report under the original creditor's name or under a collection agency. It is very possible that it is still listed on your report as a charge-off. If it is, you will have to notify Experian or whoever's report it is and give them the necessary information to remove it.
    lcminikisses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 10:12 AM

Get your 3 credit report 100% free @ annualcreditreport.com and print it out. Anything older than 7 years (depending the state you're in) can be disputed with the 3 credit bureau and u can file a complaint with ftc letting them know that this company is harassing u about a debt that is passed the SOL. Or simply call sears tell them that u received a letter regarding acct# blah blah & u want to clear it up, ask them if they have a collection company under blah blah name. If not ask them to do a three way call to the collectionn agency that is claim Sears as being part of their company.. I'm sure u would get a letter letting u know u don't owe the collection agency a dime.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2008, 12:06 PM
    This is incorrect advice - the Statue runs from the date of the last activity on the account (payment, charge, payment to a collection agency) so without more info it is impossible to know if this is out of Statute. It also very well may have been sold and the company that purchased it will almost never, ever give up.

An attempt to collect does not become something the FTC will handle until and unless you have advised the "collector" not to contact you by phone. You cannot stop letters.

Sears has already turned the debt over and has no interest in speaking to the debtor. In fact, it is entirely possible that Sears no longer has the file. Sears also is not going to take part in a three way conversation - that I can guarantee, nor will Sears or anyone else send a letter stating the OP doesn't owe anyone anything.

Anyone can dispute an incorrect item on his/her credit report at any time.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Redz View Post
    I just recived a phone call from a collection agency for a credit card from Sears that is 10 years ago owing.

They called me at work and said they can garnish my wages!! Is this true!!

If they get a Judgment, yes, they can file a garnishment order against your wages IF they can get a Judgment.

Has there been activity on the account in the past 10 years?

Dec 30, 2008, 01:26 PM

No there hasn't been any activity in 10 years!
    I haven't received any letters or calls in about 7 years!

Dec 30, 2008, 01:27 PM
    I also live in Ontario in case that helps with any answers
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2008, 02:08 PM
    I also live in Ontario incase that helps with any answers

I answered specifically for the US - the time frame is different in Canada but the basic concept is the same.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 03:37 PM

And of course bill collects lie, I know it is hard to believe. But first, you will always owe the debt, and they can call and write you forever if you don't pay. But there is a SOL depending on where you are at, and what type of debt it is.

Dec 31, 2008, 07:19 AM

Living in Ontario actually helps you, as the statute of limitations there is 6 years. Remember the SOL can be reset if you make any payment on the account at all. Although the statute of limitations has expired, they can still attempt to collect the expired debt, report it to credit reporting agencies and even take you to court to try and enforce it via a judgement which could still result in a wage garnishment. You do have the law on your side though; If they did bring you to court to obtain a judgement, you can raise the "Expired Statute of Limitations" defense and the case is generally dismissed on the spot. So as you can see, you still need to be diligent with this or the creditor could still make your life miserable. Credit reporting agencies do recognize the expired statute of limitations defense as grounds for removal from your credit report, so my advice is to still check your credit reports and request removal based on that. By the way, Sears has no interest in this debt, since they probably sold it long ago!

Dec 31, 2008, 09:17 AM

Holy smokes these people are so rude and just called me 10 times in a row making my job almost immpossible I told them take me to court they wanted to talk to the HR department. We are a non prfit business and payroll knows my situation! So I guess all I can do is suck it up! How do I check out this credit report?
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Holy smokes these people are so rude and just called me 10 times in a row making my job almost immpossible I told them take me to court they wanted to talk to the HR department. We are a non prfit bussiness and payroll knows my situation! So I guess all I can do is suck it up! how do I check out this credit report??

Did you tell them not to call any more?

Dec 31, 2008, 09:47 AM

Yes I also had my assistant tell them on the 6th call we would call the police for harassment the calls have now stopped and I got a number to the Credit report so will contact them in the new year!
    NASCAR_Devil Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Yes i also had my assistant tell them on the 6th call we would call the police for harrassment the calls have now stopped and I got a number to the Credit report so will contact them in the new year!
    What state do you live in? You stated this went to bad debt 10 years ago? When was your last payment? SOL in most states starts with that date. Credit Reporting would be 7 years + 180 days from the date of first default.
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR_Devil View Post
    What state do you live in? You stated this went to bad debt 10 years ago? When was your last payment? SOL in most states starts with that date. Credit Reporting would be 7 years + 180 days from the date of first default.

"I also live in Ontario incase that helps with any answers"
    Dar10011 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 02:39 PM

Funny thing, I posted a question about a judgement. They put a judgement on my account that is 10 years old from Sears also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

9 year old verizon bill [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, In 1998 I had a telephone line with verizon. Due to neglect I never paid the bill. It was on my credit report and eventually came off. Now in 2007 after finally having decent credit and no infractions, I received a letter from a creditor Afni asking that I pay $1,700.00, they...

IRS will not pay my Tax Refund Owing to me [ 5 Answers ]

Good Day. I filed taxes back in February Electronicall... and was told it had already been done. Spoke to the IRS, who told us to Send in the Paperwork, we did. Then they told us that the SS was filed by someone else. At the time we filed a Police Report / Identify Theft and also informed...

14 year old phone bill [ 2 Answers ]

I received a collection notice today from a creditor stating that I owe a phone bill from verizon in the amount of $460.00. I called because after 14 years I did not even know I had this debt. I never received anything and when I left college I left the phone on for my roommate at the time. The...

Owing a debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old credit card debt that has been turned over to a collection agency. I am now working with the collection agency to pay this debt. Back in February, the agency asked me to pay an initial $155.oo and leave a check on file for a larger amount which would be deposited at the end of march....

View more questions Search