Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmixson4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 11:15 AM
    How do I place a lean on a person for non rent payment?
    I'm a landlord who fell into the trap of renting my home to a friend. We entered into a year long rental agreement, but the person abandoned my property without notice; within a month of the agreement and left without making the first payment.

How do I go about placing a lean on this person?:mad:
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Dec 29, 2008, 04:06 PM
    To clarify, you cannot place a lien on a person - only on property.

When you say "lien" (which is normally a security instrument to ensure payment of a debt) you likely mean "writ of execution" (or whatever local phrase applies). A writ of execution is an enforcement remedy available to a party that succeeds in obtaining a judgment against another.

In order to obtain a judgment you must first commence a legal proceeding against your friend.

Before filing any lawsuit keep in mind that you have a legal obligation to mitigate your damages. To wit, you must try to re-rent your property as quickly as reasonably possible as opposed to letting it sit vacant for a year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to place Garnishment? How to locate person employer? [ 2 Answers ]

My parents have rental homes & recently received a judgement for over $6000.00 on a renter who totally trashed the house & owes back rent. I guess the biggest question is how to find where the person is now working to place a garnishment on them. Is there any inexpensive (or better any free) ways...

Eviction for Non Payment of Rent after determination of rent hearing [ 2 Answers ]

A Eviction for Non Payment of Rent is in process and a determination of rent hearing has already been heard in the State of Florida. The Judge order the tenants to pay rent due within 24 hours. If tenants pay the court ordered amount, how much longer do the tenants get to stay in the house?

Collect unpaid rent and vandalize the place [ 6 Answers ]

I have a rental unit which is in California. I provide trash, water and sewer. The tenant is not pay the rent since Sept, so I start the process to evict her. Within the time of the process she still stay in the unit. Now, I received my water bill which is 1450.00. She is out of my unit. I would...

The Place I Rent Is Being Forclosed [ 4 Answers ]

The place I rent even after paying all my rent to the landlord is being forclosed. My spouse is disabled he has lupus and is on dialisis and the landlord knew this before renting to us. I have live here for 19 months. I was wondering if I have any recourse on my landlord with him knowing full well...

How to put a lean on a person [ 2 Answers ]

How can we put a lean on an x husband who owes money to the IRS. But the IRS is coming after me. To the tune of 20,000 dollars. He owns a construction company. Is there any way I can put a lean on him so that he has to pay 1/2 the money back. In our divorce decree it makes us responsible for...

View more questions Search