Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diet Pepsi Girl Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Boston wills?
    Hello,

My cousin just passed away- he was a resident of Boston, Mass and I live in Atlanta, GA. I am pretty sure he had some money tucked away, and that he left some of it to me as I was one of his closest relitives. Right now my mom has the most control. She said that she lost power of attorney when he passed away. My cousin had a will. How will it be accessed? Do I need to be present when it is read?
    If the will says that I am left a certain amount of money, do I automatically get that money once the will is read?
    Who is the executor of a will? The lawyer or is someone else appointed?
    How do I make sure that no one takes what is legally mine if I'm all the way here in Atlanta and everything is going on in Boston? Is there any way this money can be "stolen" from me or put somewhere I can't touch it?
    Thanks,
    Diet Pepsi Girl
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Diet Pepsi Girl View Post
    Hello,

My cousin just passed away- he was a resident of Boston, Mass and I live in Atlanta, GA. I am pretty sure he had some money tucked away, and that he left some of it to me as I was one of his closest relitives. Right now my mom has the most control. She said that she lost power of attorney when he passed away. My cousin had a will. How will it be accessed? Do I need to be present when it is read?
    If the will says that I am left a certain amount of money, do I automatically get that money once the will is read?
    Who is the executor of a will? The lawyer or is someone else appointed?
    How do I make sure that no one takes what is legally mine if I'm all the way here in Atlanta and everything is going on in Boston? Is there any way this money can be "stolen" from me or put somewhere I can't touch it?
    Thanks,
    Diet Pepsi Girl

Yes, the Power of Attorney died with your cousin.

The Will be presented for probate by the Executor and you will be notified and probably, depending on the contents, asked to sign a release or similar document. There is no formal reading of the Will - you'll get a copy when you get the release.

No, you don't automatically get the money. It depends on how the Will the written, if assets have to be sold to pay bequests, what the tax picture is. People often leave dollar amounts to any number of people but the estate is not sufficient to pay all of the bequests.

Until the Will is probated and you are notified you don't know what is legally yours. Likewise, the Executor has to account to the Court for the distribution of the assets and payment of the bequests so it's almost impossible for someone to "take" your money.

Wasn't this discussed in Boston when you were there for the funeral? One usually follows the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does any one know about wills? [ 24 Answers ]

Is it legal in North Carolina to make a will leaving real property to someone other than your spouse with out the knowledge and consent of said spouse?

Inheritance tax/Wills [ 3 Answers ]

We are UK residents (retired) who have holiday rental property in the USA. Registered with the IRS. We have recently made a"Family Trust" but believe that to reduce Inheritance tax in the US we will have to make a further trust to protect our interests upon the passing over of one of us and leaving...

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Recently my grandma passed away. She had a will and she appointed an executor to carry out her last wishes. Due to family conflict the executor has decided to step back and allow an attorney to carry out the will. Now I know that all of the bank accounts have beneficiary desingation however...

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a limit of time for a family member to request to view a deceased family member s Will? Who would a person contact to see the will?

Wills [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what the California law is about the following. After my mother died my ex sister in law at the day of the funeral approached my father to sign things over to her, I believe he did? Then re recently got married and the lady talked my father into signing things over to her. As...

View more questions Search