Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIY Diva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 07:44 PM
    No cold water after turning valve back on
    We just installed a new kitchen sink and faucet. The water has been off for about 2 weeks while we worked on the floor and cabinets. Today we turned the water back on, and there is no water coming out of the cold line below the sink. The valve seems to be opening fine, and the second shut off valve in the basement if defintely working OK, as I can turn on the water for the fridge, which is after the sink line branches off. Is it possibly sediment built up in the line to keep any water from flowing, there isn't even a trickle coming out. Thanks Mary
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2008, 08:28 PM

It could be an old washer broke up and is clogging the line. Disconnect from sink and see if supply is clear. Next step is disassemble faucet.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2008, 09:16 PM

There are several types of valves and one type is called a "gate valve", This is because as you turn the handle it moves a disk up or down in a channel. Sometimes the disk breaks off the screw drive that moves it up and down. If this happens while your water is off it would not let water go past the gate even though you turn the valve counter clockwise all the way.

This type valve is usually a very tall valve, much taller than a regular globe or compression valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning hot water cold [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am having a bad experience here where I live. The place is hot extremely. My problem is whenever I open my tap / shower I get "Hot" water. No matter I turn it cold or hot or medium, the outcome is always hot and I mean it. The hottest hot water in the world I think. There is A/C's all...

Lost sink pressure after turning valve off & then back on [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Folks, I turned the valves off under my kitchen sink to insert a part for a water filter. The part didn't fit so I simply screwed the compression tubes/pipes back together and turned the valves back on and now there is very little water coming out. I also notice that the cold water valve no...

Turning Water back on for bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I had a clog in the pipes under my bathroom sink. I shut off the hot and cold water valves before removing the pipes (just in case someone accidentally turned the water on while working). I ended up replacing the pipes and got everything set up. I turned the water valves back on but, when I turn...

Turning Off My Cold Water [ 1 Answers ]

Last week I actually broke my shower handle because my cold water would not turn off. I have fixed my handle, but when I put my main water on -- I still cannot turn off my cold water. Please help. Val

View more questions Search