Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    normierich Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Dec 28, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Rear window defogger
    The rear window defogger in my 2001 Chevy Malibu doesn't work. When I press the button to turn it on, the light in the switch goes on indicating that everything is working but it's clealy not working. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the fuse or what. Everything else electrical works fine with the vehicle. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2008, 07:16 PM

Carefully remove the connector and clean the contacts with 240-grit abrasive cloth. Afterwards, it would be a good idea to apply a light coat of dielectric grease to the contacts. If the problem persists, check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Dec 28, 2008, 07:24 PM

If the grid isn't getting hot at all, follow txgreasemonkey's advice on cleaning the terminals at the grid and checking the fuse. The defroster button in the HVAC control assembly provides a ground connection to a relay located in the underhood junction box. The relay is powered by a 10A fuse. When the contacts close, it provides power from a 30A fuse on a purple wire up to a junction box in the left side of the instrument panel. From there, the power flows on a black wire to the grid. The grid is grounded by a black wire that terminates on the passenger side of the rear package shelf. Check all those connections for power and ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rear defogger [ 1 Answers ]

My rear defogger on my 91 accord won't work @ all! She used to only defrost 1/2 of the back window, now nothing. Could someone please help me, it's getting close to that chilly time of the year.

1999 Grand Am rear window motor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone out there can help? My name is Candace and I am a 30yr. Old nurse, mother of a 3 yr. old boy and a husband who travels A LOT.. I pride myself in being able to do just about anything when it comes to repairs and HATE to have to PAY someone when I can figure it out...

Help! The rear window of my car leaks [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to fix a leaky window seal? The back window in my car leaks almost every time it rains and forms a puddle on the floor.I was wondering if I could use something similar to silicone to fix it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View more questions Search