Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evsaranzak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 11:44 PM
    RMD from an inherited IRA
    Hi,
    My minor boys inherited an IRA from my parents when they passed away. Last week I received a letter stating that they (Financial Institution) records indicating that the boys are not currently set up to receive systematic distributions. And if they do not take a distribution--it could result in a 50% penalty tax on the difference between the amount they actually received & RMD.

They also stated the IRS generally requires that RMD's begin no later than December 31st of the year following the deceased IRA owner's year of death. My mother passed away in January of 2004--my dad 2 years before her. They also informed us that under certain circumstances, we may elect to delay the distributions as long as the entire account is distributed by December 31st of the year containing the fifth anniversary of the IRA owner's death.

Could you please explain all this in layman terms. And what we are supposed to do & when we're supposed to do it? I really look forward to an answer--not to mention, how much an answer would be appreciated! THANK YOU, Evelyn
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2006, 06:22 AM
    First, RMD stands for Required Minimum Distribution. You don't say whether your parents had started withdrawing before their death as that might have a bearing. I found this site (searching on RMD) That has some info:

http://www1.evergreeninvestments.com...MD+Information

One point made was: The new rules allow the beneficiary(ies) to be chosen at any time and the payout schedules, in most cases, are not dependent upon the beneficiary(ies) age. After inheriting the IRA, the beneficiary, whether a spouse or not, can take the RMD based on his or her age.

This seems to indicate, they can just leave the IRA until they become of retirement age.

I would recommend you discuss this with a financial or tax advisor. I would also call the IRS to get their input.

I would look into transferring this money into one of the new college savings plans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the house inherited property? [ 6 Answers ]

My mother passed in May leaving my brother and I both executors and beneficiaries of her estate. It turns out, without either of our knowledge, she changed her deed to make herself, myself, and my brother "joint tenants with survivorship" This transfer was made in March 2003 and she passed in May...

Taxes on inherited property [ 4 Answers ]

I inherited property from step mother who had life estate of property which belonged to my father. My brother had already past away but had two daughters so I received 1/2 and they 1/4 each. Do I have to figure taxes on my half? Do I have to pay taxes on it or report it on my taxes? Thanks for your...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search