Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2006, 09:20 PM
    Better hamburgers through science!
    Oh yummy! I just can't wait for my first Slab-O-Burger!

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...3-090855-1046r

Scientist seeks burger investors
    CHARLESTON, S.C. July 13 (UPI) -- A U.S. scientist has developed a process to grow cow cells into full-size hamburger overnight but he can't get anyone to invest in the process.

Vladimir Mironov, a biology researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina, said the process involves taking immature cells that develop into skeletal muscles from cows -- or pigs, or chickens, or turkeys -- and fusing them to a protein that, with the help of steroids, grows into big hunks of meat, The Charleston (S.C.) Post and Courier reported.

The newspaper said the process isn't exactly cloning, but more like cattle farming through chemistry.

The scientific procedure has been published in tissue-engineering journals, but Mironov says he can't find any financial backers, Post and Courier says.

"In business, who pays to make a product nobody wants to buy?" Mironov asked. "You show this technology and say, 'Do you want to try the meat?' and they all say, 'No.'"

But Mironov says the long-term benefits of the technology could outweigh the negative public perception.

He told the newspaper: "It's not Frankenstein meat. It's like hydroponic tomatoes."
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jul 16, 2006, 09:29 PM
    ( Insert vomiting icon here) BLECH! :P The thought of this makes Spam look like fillet mignon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 17, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Going to need a lot of hot sauce for those burgers!!
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 17, 2006, 06:34 AM
    With the amount of steroids they are using to make a burger overnight, when you eat one will you double overnight? :)
    Scareyyyyyy the health issues that could come from eating foods made in that way.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Comment on Stormy69's post
    LOL! Gime me Spam!
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    No amount of hot sauce will change that!
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Got to spread it Cassie but that is an interesting point worth much consideration prior to the first bite!
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Jul 17, 2006, 08:22 PM
    I agree it sounds gross, but I mean a lot of people eat at fast foods joints and to be honest their meat rivals that of this guys...
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Had to spread it around whizz but I think I would rather eat a muddie or two before one of these "things."!
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Jul 18, 2006, 02:20 AM
    A muddie maybe, but I personally have loved roast reptoid with a touch of e.t.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 18, 2006, 04:28 AM
    If this is really possible and cost effective, it's just a matter of time! I wonder, would vegies eat this?
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jul 18, 2006, 08:48 AM
    EEEEEWWWWWWWW!! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! That sounds disgusting!

Unfortunately I am sure he will find an investor. I am definitely leaning towards more organic food. Hopefully that's safe.
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 18, 2006, 10:58 AM
    This would certainly not be a more organic food. Using steroids is harmful and has many side effects, one being cancer. I don't think vegan's would eat it, because it is still coming from a cell of an animal. The thought of it really bothers me. I have often wondered about the feeding of steroids to the animals we eat now and the harm it does.
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jul 18, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Gross. That's all I can say. Gross.
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jul 18, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Whiz-kid... what in the heck are muddies, by the way... not to change the subject :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 18, 2006, 02:33 PM
    What about preservatives that are currently in our food? Is no one worried about that?

Does anyone know what "partially hydrogenated" or "enriched" actually mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is science? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals What is science? How can we define science and what is the nature ? Can u tell me different science's?

Science [ 1 Answers ]

Choose the correct answer 2. justify why you chose that as the correct answer Scientists have discovered that chromosomal abnormalities such as down syndrome can result from unusual timing of hormonal cycles in older women that result in unusual hormonal concentrations during oogenesis. At...

Pharmaceutical science [ 2 Answers ]

Can you please help me to find the reaction mechanism for the formation of the sulfonamide

Science fair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! My daughter isn`t sure if she would like to do her science project on yawning.She mentioned something about how much bacteria is on a vending machine coke can?I don`t have a clue!HELP! Does anyone know of any unique ones?Aparently that is one thing the judges look for.What about science vs....

Mineral(science) [ 1 Answers ]

The most obviously visible property of a mineral is :)? :-* ;) :D

View more questions Search