Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    175watt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 11:27 PM
    mobile home heating safety
    If a bed is placed over a heating vent in the room farthest from the furnas, could the heated air be enough to cause a fire? This is in a mobile home that is a 14X76.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Dec 28, 2008, 12:11 AM
    I would say probably not. If the temperature of the furnace were enough to ignite that material, then it would do so around the entire mobile home. Also, there would be warnings not to put anything over the vent like that near where the vent is.
    I'd think with paper needing 451* Fahrenheit to spontaniously combust,(Thank you Ray Bradbury), other materials would require a higher range before they too would burst into flame. And if the heat of the furnace were near that temperature, you'd certainly be very uncomfortable.
    Try this. If you have any type of thermometer, like an outdoor one, bring it inside and put it near the vent. If the reading maxes out, then move the offending item. If not, then there is no worry. Or, put some paper near it and see if it gets to 451*.
    I think that you will do fine, and maybe even enjoy the fact that the vent is so close to the bed. Just keep it clean as possible, so that the smell of cooking dust bunnies doesn't bother you.
    I refuse to brag that it reached 81* here today, and the internet weather thing says it is currently 72* outside.
    But it did.:p
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 28, 2008, 10:42 AM

It won't cause the bed to ignite but it could cause some temperature issues in that room. Generally it is advisable NOT to obstruct supply or return registers.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 12:03 PM
    They make adapters for floor vents that sit on top of the register and direct the air out in a different direction. They are very low profile and are used for directing the ait away from furniture. Extends to 37 inches long see below.

SkyMall - Floor Register Extension

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile home heating unit(coleman evcon presidential) [ 7 Answers ]

The pilot light is on, but the unit won't come on to heat home, could it be the thermal coupling, or is there something else that may be causing it? Last year it did this for a few days, then it worked fine rest of the winter. Thanks for your...

Heating/cooling returns's placement for safety reasons [ 6 Answers ]

For fire safety, there should be no heating/cooling returns in a)garages b)bedrooms c)dining rooms d)ceilings

Coleman 7900 series mobile home heating unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1987 Coleman 7900 series heating unit that seams to work until it kicks off before reaching the temp set on the thermostat, leaving the pilot extinguished as well. The blower continues to run for a few minutes and then shuts off. Now because the pilot is no longer lit the unit cannot...

Baseboard Heating in mobile home [ 11 Answers ]

Greetings All! You were so helpful during my installation of 200amp breaker box and I appreciate it. Now with winter just around the corner I need to worry about heat. At this point I have no heat. I was able to up pick up the following baseboard heaters (4) 6-ft (3) 4-ft

View more questions Search