Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PeachesEfaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Venting Built-In Gas Wall Ovens
    I am replaing an existing double gas wall oven that vents through a 5" circular metal vent to the attic and then through the roof. The old ove actually has a 5" diameter hole in the top of the oven where the metal vent connects. The new Maytag 24" double gas oven has no way to connect to the existing 5" metal vent. I can't find any information in the instruction manual or the Maytag website on how the heat dissipates or is removed from the house. When I called Maytag National Service number they didn't understand what I was talking about. Is this a problem or health hazard?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 12:46 AM
    Most new style ovens no longer direct vent to the exterior of the home. Instead they vent to the inside of the home allowing for the interior air volume to dilute the burnt gases. Please read the install manual that came with your new unit and follow the directions exactly for a safe install. While I am not saying that the vent system that you have now could not be made to work somehow you will need to seek the services of a HVAC contractor or someone else who can possibly make a sheet metal bonnet or adapter to try and capture some of the burnt gas and allow it to flow out.

Most if not all professional installers just follow the manufactures install instructions.
    PeachesEfaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Most new style ovens no longer direct vent to the exterior of the home. Instead they vent to the inside of the home allowing for the interior air volume to dilute the burnt gases. Please read the install manual that came with your new unit and follow the directions exactly for a safe install. While I am not saying that the vent system that you have now could not be made to work somehow you will need to seek the services of a HVAC contractor or someone else who can possibly make a sheet metal bonnet or adapter to try and capture some of the burnt gas and allow it to flow out.

Most if not all professional installers just follow the manufactures install instructions.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your quick response. We sort of came to the same conclusion. We did read all the instruction manual and there is no mention of exhausting fumes, etc. It appears some of the gases will find their way up to the existing vent as hot gas rises. I will also call my local building inspector tomorrow to double check. Thanks again
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 01:55 PM
    In our area the building inspector will say that it has to be installed to the manufactures instructions. Now is you plug up that big hole(Vent) to the outside you might save some energy.
    ttakaro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 08:24 AM
    I'm writing this as a physician-scientist very interested in indoor pollution and its relationship to asthma and other respiratory conditions. A combustion device should be vented outdoors. The notion that it's OK to use dilution of indoor air is unhealthy, especially in modern, tight energy efficient homes. In Ontario, all new gas stoves must be vented by law. Though I am not certain, there's no reason this should not be the case for all gas appliances.
    barrymushrush Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2013, 01:41 PM
    I, for one, would like to vent my rage at learning that top-vent wall ovens are no longer made. How stupid, ridiculous, outrageous and insane is that? Why would any one with a brain want to vent all that heat into their room, especially in hot and warm climates? Who is the jerk that made this decision and what is his address?

I am having my newly installed oven removed, and my decrepid old oven reinstalled, because of this fact, which I would never have thought to ask about. If anyone knows of someone selling a refurbished "retro" 24" gas oven, let me know.

[email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venting Basement Toilet in same wall with Soil Stack [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to the forum, found it through googling my plumbing questions. It has helped already. Here is my question. I am confused about venting my toilet and keeping it in the path of the main drain under the slab. In other words the main stack will be dropping down the wall in essentially...

Electric Ovens As Compared to Gas Ovens [ 16 Answers ]

Do electric ovens heat up faster and bake more evenly than gas ones? Just made a pizza in the electric oven where I am house-sitting for some people. Seemed like their electric oven heated up faster and did a much better job on the pizza then my gas one would do at home. The pizza was placed...

Custom wall built-ins [ 1 Answers ]

Would any one know of an online business that I could send dimisions and specs for a wall built-in and they make it off site and I put it together and install it and stain or paint in my home. Thanks

Venting into an inside wall [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a YURT. We are building rooms inside. We do NOT want to put any holes in the walls or roof for the bathroom vent, but DO want an inside bathroom. Would it work if we vented between the walls? Where we live, a composting toilet is not an option. Thank you for any advice on how...

VFK484, Berko Wall Heater, 4800 Watt, 240 Volt, High Capacity, with Built-in t'stat [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased this Berko VFK 484 Wall heater. The specs are here: http://thermalinc.com/comfort/PDFs/vfk.pdf I have a double pole 20 amp circuit. I have 12 2 wire which I will use the black and white both as hot wires for the 240 volt connection. To achieve 240 volt connection, how...

View more questions Search