Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DEE1984 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Tell me
    I do not know how many felonies I have, but I would like to be a teacher. My school offers a teaching degree and I can obtain this degree but will not be certified. Is there anyway that I will be a teacher.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Dec 27, 2008, 09:51 PM
    I am not in the education business, so I might not have the best answer. And quite frankly the rules probably vary from district to district, so getting an accurate answer might not be possible. But. Why not try calling up the human resources office at your local school board and finding out? Be warned though, with even one felony, that may be enough to disqualify you. You can try, however, to get a master's or better in a subject and try teaching at the college level. But again, the criminal record might be a deterrent. You could also consider other professions that involve education, like nutritionist, or Nursing.
    Good Luck!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2008, 08:14 AM

Check out the website for the school district(s) you would be interested in. They will list what guidelines they follow for hiring. For example, the district I teach in won't hire at all certain felonies, but may consider others after a set period.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 02:17 PM

If you have so many arrests and convictions you don't even know how many you have, you have no business being a teacher.

Next, This does not sound like an approved school, is it reconised by the US Dept of Education,
    Assuming it is in the US.

To be a teacher you have meet the rules of your state dept of education
    dglennware Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Jan 3, 2009, 06:03 AM
    The fact that you do not know how many felonies you have is the first major concern! Know your complete record before attempting anything. If you have mutliple felonies, they will obviously show up when you are fingerprinted. I have been teaching in Ohio for 14 years and, with multiple felonies, I am not sure teaching in a high school or lower would be allowed. I remember the first day of an education class at KSU the professor said that if anybody had 2 mor more DUI's to leave now because they could not get a license to teach. One guy actually got up and left! Good luck in what you decide to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search