Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dianele Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Lukewarm water in upstairs shower - can I fix myself?
    I have a 30 year old house with original faucets. I'm getting lukewarm water upstairs and hot water downstairs.

I thought it was the old hot water heater and had a new one installed last week, but the problem remains. I spent all my money on the water heater, so have no resources to hire a plumber.

The shower was nice and hot one day, then lukewarm the next, so it happened suddenly. The weather is very cold here and has been below zero.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Diane
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2008, 08:26 PM

I would just about guarantee it's the cold and wind. Check your HW and see what its set at. Insulate pipes off heater to keep hot in pipe. And Extra insul wrap around HW would save some money if its not there already.
    Do those things and see if it helps and monitor the temp and wind to get a good history on how it might affect the hot water. I assume the problem was before the new HW. Don't feel bad you upgraded the WH The only other could be the faucet. What style do you have?
    Signed 21 boat
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2008, 11:04 PM

Sometimes an older faucet has washers that expand when they get hot. Is the pressure OK?
    dianele Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 07:35 AM

The faucet is single, pull to turn on the water, that fills the bath and a pull-up knob on top to start the shower.

I've lived here for eight years through all kinds of weather and this has never happened before. I don't regret the new water heater, the old one was nearly 20 years old and it was going to fail sooner or later. Yes, the problem started about a week before I got the new WH, and around the time the temps dipped to zero outside.

The pressure is the same as always.

Thanks so much, I am very grateful for your knowledges and expertise.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2008, 08:16 PM

The faucet sounds like a moen château. Typically cold weather can cause incoming water to be cold enough to reduce the temperature half way during the shower but the first 5 minutes should be great. By code we are required to not adjust the temp above 125. On my home I adjust to 135 in the colder months. Be aware of possible scald dangers.
    If the water temp is OK at other fixtures you may have a scald guard on your faucet that may need to be adjusted. Google moen château and see if that is your faucet and see how to adjust scald guard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lukewarm water in the shower/hot out of cold in sink. [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, We bought this house 6 months ago. We have 2 issues with plumbing. 1) The shower water has a single handle. We turn it as far as it will go to hot and the water that comes out is barely lukewarm. We don't have any problems with hot water in any other place in the house, which leads to the...

Lukewarm water at best in shower [ 2 Answers ]

**Update** This problem has been resolved. Hello plumbing experts :) I see that someone else has recently asked a similar question to mine but I'm not sure that the same advice would apply so I'll post my question too in hopes that someone can help. My shower's (no tub) water...

Only lukewarm water in shower and tub [ 1 Answers ]

I have only lukewarm water coming out of my shower and tub- on the water heater is there a dial to turn?

Lukewarm water from shower [ 1 Answers ]

Within the last month I have started getting only lukewarm at best water from my shower. The shower is a one handle moen? turn right for cold and turn left for warm. All the way to the left is now luke warm at best. Even if I let it run for 5min or so it is still barely warm. I did replace the...

Lukewarm water in shower and tub, hot in sinks [ 4 Answers ]

OK... this is a weird issue. I have a dedicated recirc line with a pump and a timer that I only run an hour a day or so in the morning, due to energy costs of heating the water. The problem I am having is that when I am not recirculating the water, the master shower and master tub only get...

View more questions Search