Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desert777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Delta bath cartridge removal
    I have a single handle Delta bath faucet valve whose cartridge needs to be replaced because it is dripping. It is about 4 years old or so. I can find no part number anywhere on it.

I got all the parts removed, down to removing the brass collar that holds the cartridge in place. NO GO! I put a big monkey wrench on it - nothing. I soaked it with silicon lube - nope. I then tried white vinegar, in case water deposits were the culprit -- NOPE! I thought I was going to rip the plumbing out of the wall.

I'm stuck. No more ideas. I hate to call an expensive plumber because I can't get this thing off. What can I do?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2008, 09:17 PM

You made me laugh . Sucks to be a plummer sometimes. After the brass collar was of did you see a U clip that actually holds the cartridge in. some designs have set screws This clip would slip straight up or down which holds the cartiage in if not it would blow out under pressure and hit you in the belly cartiage and handle The clip is perpendicular to the cartiage.
    Handle off
    Collar off.
    Clip off. Even then its wow at times That's why the make pullers . I try pump pliers and ten shock the pump pliers to get a start.
    When you put the next one in get plumber's grease and that help stops these problems and down the road if it get a bit stiff re grease. Many of broken single tub and shower faucets break because thecartiage needs re greased and all other cartridge faucets
    Signed 21 boat
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2008, 11:07 PM

The delta cap is thin brass, a good grip causes it to be out of round and not turn. A strap wrench remedies this problem and you will find the cap nut is actually not very tight.
    desert777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238 View Post
    the delta cap is thin brass, a good grip causes it to be out of round and not turn. a strap wrench remedies this problem and you will find the cap nut is actually not very tight.
    Thanks, doug238. I had tried twisting it by hand and when it didn't budge, I brought in the big guns!

TOO big, apparently, for when I tried to use the shower this morning, when I hit the spout valve to send water through the shower head, instead, the water went into the wall and down into my basement. Looks like I'll be calling that plumber after all.

Appreciate the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Delta Shower Cartridge [ 15 Answers ]

Good AFternoon, I am replacing a 13 year old Delta shower cartridge and I am at the point of removing the cupling holding the old cartridge on. The directions state to "unscrew" the cupling and remove it and then pry out the old cartridge. I have tried to uunscrew the brass cupling but when I...

Replacing Delta shower cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

I have a shower with a Delta single knob that you turn to the left to make the water go from cold to hot. Only one knob. This is a stand up shower, no tub. I don't know the Delta model #. It was dripping constantly so I called a plumber and he came and changed out the cartridge. Now, I don't...

Delta bath faucet (cold) won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

My delta bathroom faucet (the cold) won't turn off. Started as a small stream, now it is at full tilt. We have taken it apart and replaced the washer/seating and the cartridge. It is quite old (about 17 years)... there is a hot/cold and a hand held shower as part of the set.

Need instruction on cartridge removal for Moen bath faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Our tub in the guest bath has a single lever controlled faucet and we just recently realized that there is no hot water coming out when you turn it all the way to hot. It's just a dribble and it's cold. Judging by most of the reponses to this question it would appear our first step would be to try...

How to remove a slip-on Delta bath tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

The house is 16 years old. The bath tub spout has no identification on it, but it says "Delta Monitor" on the Temperature Control knob. The problem is that the water just flows to the tub and won't go up to the showerhead. I am trying to rePlcace the tub spout. It looks like a slip on type. I have...

View more questions Search