Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Dec 27, 2008, 01:11 PM
    I have a killer cat.
    Ok so I have this cat that has this thing for killing other animals. I know it is just his natural instict, but what can be done about it. He keeps leaving "gifts" for my neighbors and they are getting tired of it. His animals of choice seem to be birds, chipmunks, squirrels, mice, and moles. We put a color on him with a bell hoping to take away the stealthness of the attack, but no luck so far. Any ideas?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2008, 03:08 PM

Hi, Gregisteredtrademark!

How about just leaving him inside at your home? I've had cats all of my life and most of them have stayed indoors.

If you would like to have him be outside sometimes, there are cat runs that you could get, if you have a place to accommodate one.

I've seen people use one like the one that you can find via clicking on the following link. Kittywalk Outdoor Cat Run (Lawn Version) - CatsPlay.com - Fun furniture, condos and climbing gyms for cats and kittens.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 03:50 PM

The "gifts" he leaves are his messages to everyone that he is, indeed, a great hunter and wants to honor them with proof of that.

In addition to what Clough said, I strongly suggest you get your cat fixed (neutered). That will cut down on the aggression, and he will be more willing to stay indoors 24/7 too. He will live longer and be a lot healthier.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2008, 10:56 PM

Cats kill incredible numbers of birds and small animals each year.

The Birdchaser: Cats Kill Over 1 Billion Birds Each Year in U.S.

I have two cats and won't let them out during breeding season and the rest of the year only occasionally. They get pissed at me, but I know I'm doing the right thing. Keep your cat indoors.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jan 1, 2009, 07:32 PM

Hyper carnivores and hyper hunters...

Keeping them in doors is hard once they have the habit and may be a problem. If you try it you will likely also need to take more time to play with the animal to work out extra energy.

Neutering won't necessarily stop/slow the killing, but should be done anyway.

If nothing else add a noisemaker to it's collar to give the prey a bit of warning. Might not help much but it can't hurt.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Jan 2, 2009, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the responses, most of the ideas have been tried previously. He is fixed already and we added a collar and a bell, the cold weather has slowed his success rate (deep snow), but it still continues to be a problem. Everyone says just keep him in, folks it's not that easy with kids in the house and a cat that wants to go out. We try, but he will find a way if he wants. Thanks for the advice.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 11:02 AM

If he's still able to catch ANYTHING with a bell and deep snow, he is an impressive hunter. How about renting him out to people with mouse problems?

I noticed the pet store bells I put on my cats were not that effective, because (I think) the cats quickly learned to stalk without clinking the bell. I think that's not that hard. Some of the bells advertised are "highly reflective" That might help since the glint and movement might catch the eye of prey.

My cats catch mostly shrews.

Sorry we haven't been able to help. I know it's hard to keep them inside once they get a taste for the outdoors.

Maybe a really big, shiny bell, one that is heavy enough to cramp his style? Like the ones Lands End used to put in Christmas presents. They are at least an inch in diameter and pretty heavy.
    billa bong75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 08:18 PM

Shoot it xD. I know how you feel, my cats hunt quite a bit to. Maybe your not feeding him enough. Maybe he likes your neibhours better ;). Try getting a bigger bell. Maybe keep him inside for awhile, and keep his litterbox around and maybe he will just develop a likeing of indoors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAX the killer dog [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for a movie with a killer dog, His name was Max and he was Rottweiler, I remember he killed this old lady cat, and I know that the movie was so good that the made like 2 or 3.its was made in the 80s-early 90s. ;)

Killer diseases [ 8 Answers ]

Chikungunya is a relatively rare form of viral fever caused by an alphavirus that is spread by mosquito bites from Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, though recent research by the Pasteur Institute in Paris claims the virus has suffered a mutation that enables it to be transmitted by Aedes albopictus (Tiger...

View more questions Search