Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Dec 26, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Stranded wire to solid wire
    Is there any advantage, disadvantage, safety concerns, etc, in twisting, or not twisting stranded wire, such as fixture wire, to the solid wire before installing the wire nut?

I always twist solid wire with linesman pliers, then install the wire nut. With fixture wire, I just twist the fixture wire by hand and install the wire nut. I’ve heard reasons for doing, or not doing both (some sound really unbelievable) and was wondering if there are any valid reasons to this, or are these just “preferences” that have grown legs over the years.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 04:22 PM

When you distill this information:
    Wire nut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I think I find is that early wire nuts without the spring, REQUIRED that the wires be twisted together before the wirenut is installed.

With the spring version as the reference suggests, the spring CUTS into the wires and twisting is not required.

So, if anything, the twisting is a carryover. With modern nuts, especially the ones with wings and a spring it's not necessary.

What's more important to to the connection is the proper strip and the number and size of the conductors.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for each product you use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stranded Versus Solid Core THHN Wires [ 18 Answers ]

I'm still learning so pardon the dumb question. In wiring a new addition for 110v and 220v electrical outlets, switches and lights is there a certain time when you would want to use stranded core THHN wire vs solid core THHN wire? I guess in particular I'm referring to when you would use...

How to wire 2 wire fan remote to 3 wire circuit? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a room that has 2 light switchs to the same light, so it is a 3 wire circuit. I bought a fan with a remote and the wall mounted remote has only 2 wires, how can I connect it? Thanks, Pete

How do I cut heavy gauge aluminum stranded 220 wire? [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing my electric range and it was connected to either a 60 or 80 amp circuit breaker that takes two slots in the panel. The wire is aluminum and both the wire in the insulation the bare wire are stranded. The insulation jackets are black and one seems to have a red stripe. The wire was...

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search