Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evsaranzak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Water behind inground pool liner
    Hi,
    About 2 and 1/2 years ago we had a new inground vinyl pool liner professionally installed. Ever since then, when we go to open the pool in the spring--we find the liner bubbled up & out in most of the low end of the pool and on the sides of the deep end. We have to take a part of the liner down to put a pump behind it to pump out the water. Then, when we go to put the liner back up-we have a hard time because shrinkage has occurred. Can you please tell me anything regarding why this is happening since the new liner was put in & what we could do to correct the problem? Any information we be immensely appreciated. We are at wits end! Thank you. Evelyn:eek:
    scarab30 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2006, 11:22 PM
    Are you draining it? If you keep it full, the pressure of the water wouldn't allow any water to get behind it, also you wouldn't have the problem of your liner shrinking. In the winter just drain enough water out to get the water line below your skimmer. Hope this helps, Marcus
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Ok, this could be a coupe of different things:

First thing that comes to mind is your hydrostatic relief valve in your main drain. Do you have a main drain? If not, skip this part, if you do:

The hydrostatic relief valve is a pressure relief check valve that stabilizes the ground water table and your pool structure to ensure that the force of water in the ground does lift your pool up and out of the ground completely.

Vinyl liner pools technically do not require a hydrostatic relief valve if they have a sand base floor or a vermiculite soft concrete floor since both of these will allow ground water to absorb through the floor as it needs to, and recede accordingly when the water table drops.

If your pool has a mortar base (sand and concrete) floor, then you do require a hydrostatic relief valve since the water can not pass through this readily enough. If you had a HRV and this was plugged off when the liner was changed, this may cause the symptoms that you have now. Also, if the main drain gasket is pinched or loose this may also cause the same symptoms. Also, if there have been any changes in the water table where you live by recent development in your area, this can also cause these symptoms.

What I am saying is hiring a diver to inspect the main drain will give you more information to work with at this point.

NEXT - it is possible that you do not actually have a problem here. A vinyl liner pool is designed to allow water behind the liner in times of high ground water, like spring for example. It is possible that your pool has been doing this since day one, but you did not notice before because the old faded liner made it difficult to see the definition of the bottom of the pool.

Possibly, if you just leave the water, it will recede on its own when the water table drops later in the year.

My professional opinion is to hire a diver for a visual inspection - someone really qualified.

If this produces nothing, I recommend to leave the problem for as long as possible to see if it gets better on its own. If the problem appears worse, or you are concerned that it is not going away then proceed to a permanent solution. Opening th liner every year will almost certainly cause a problem soon. It is a matter of time before it rips, stretches, distorts or simply will not go back in.

You will need to install a permanent sump pump in the ground behind your swimming pool to a depth of 2' below the deepest point of the pool. This permanent feature is how most pool builders build swimming pools in areas with high water tables.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools & Artificial Rock
    Vancouver, BC
    604-421-8429
    1-888-267-0802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium needs / new pool HELP ! [ 3 Answers ]

Our pool (IG gunite, 10,500 gallons, Diamondbrite finish) is new and running for about a week and a half. Water chemistry is good after startup and we brought our water to be tested, all is well but calcium hardess is 150. Pool store said we will be needing calcium soon, but not to do it before we...

Fiberglass Inground Pool.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Does anyone have any insight or experience related to having a fiberglass inground pool installed? Any information, pitfalls, pros & cons appreciated! Thank you in advance!:)

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

Pool repainting [ 1 Answers ]

My pool is 21 years old and has brown spots on it. I do not have the money to replaster. Is Zeron Epoxy a good product to use to repaint it?

View more questions Search