Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evsaranzak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain
    Hello,
    I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I have overflow coming out of my main drain outside (the pipe that sticks up out of the ground). My husband has tried to snake it with no luck. We cannot afford a plumber right now & are lost as to what we can do. Can you please help us. We would really appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you. Evelyn:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Hi Evelyn,

" I have overflow coming out of my main drain outside (the pipe that sticks up out of the ground)."

That tells me that the blockage is outside your house in the sewer line.
    Are you on city sewer or a septic tank?

If you are on city sewer rent a sewer machine,(see image) and send the snake down the open pipe that's overflowing.
    If you're on a septic tank open up a inspection port and check to see if the tank needs pumping. Good luck, Tom
    allozier Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 28, 2006, 04:17 PM
    It sounds like you have a stopped up sewer outside your house this could be caused by roots. Broken pipe. Etc etc. my suggestion is call a professional plumber to open your line and then get a video inspection to see what your sewer line looks like, this may be expensive but worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Toilet Backup, how to remove the smell? [ 3 Answers ]

Recently a friend of mine had their basement toilet backup sewage into the basement. The plumber figured out there were tree roots in the sewer which lead to the problem and ended up fixing it. They removed all of the carpet and other materials affected by the backup, but the smell remains. I...

Downstairs wash tub backup [ 1 Answers ]

My washing machine is next to a 2-bin wash tub in my basement and discharges into it on the rinse cycle. Lately the wash tub has been backing up. I have tried to put lint traps on the washing machine discharge hose to keep lint from going down the drain. This becomes a hassle. I recently tried...

Basement drain backup [ 11 Answers ]

I only have one floor drain in my basement, and it is near the hot water heater and the sump. I have a septic system also. I noticed some water around the floor drain, about 3' in diameter. I thought that my sump pump had failed, but when I lifted the bulb it worked. There wasn't enough water in...

Basement drain backup after Kitchen sink did [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! This evening, my kitchen sink backed up... which I used liquid plumber to unlcog it and it worked... then when I went into the basement, the drain in the wash room was backed up with stuff all over the place. I have a plumber on the way. My brother tells me that it is most likely the tree...

Toilet/Washer/Drain in basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have had continually problems with my toilet (house bult 1960 - could be original toilet - not sure). I have had Roto Rooter out 2 times in 7 years, both times due to clogged sewer line - sewer backed up into basement. My problem is that when I run my washer, my toilet does not flush...

View more questions Search