Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smudad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 06:26 AM
    I think I shorted contact wires for digital thermostat while installing.
    Actually, I know I shorted it! I was installing a ritetemp therostat.

C-Blue
    G-Green
    Y-Yellow
    W-White
    R-Red

It seemed pretty straight forward.

Genius that I am, I didn't shut of circuit breaker.

When short occurred I looked at outside circuit board and nothing was tripped, I also looked at circuit breaker on blower.

What now?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2006, 06:36 AM
    So what happened when you "shorted" the wires? Did you see a small spark at the wires?

This wiring is only 24 volts, and typically, the red is the feed, and all the others are switch legs back to furnace, fan , compressor.

Not sure what the blue is for. Sometimes, certain stats need a common, the return for the feed, for some option like a time clock in the stat. The only time you would have an actual short is if the red and common were to touch.This action would short out the 24 volt feed, and there may be a small fuse for this circuit, usually at the transformer, sometimes on a control board.

Otherwise, if you touched any other wires to the red, you would see a small spark due to sending power to a relay coil, which is normal, and simulated a switch closure, and not really a short circuit in the true sense.
    smudad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Thanks for your oh so prompt response. I did see a small spark.

I did talk to the Ritetemp tech this a.m. their helpline opened at 9am est. He thinks I blew the 5 amp fuse at the furnace control box; so off to the attic I go in 98 degree weather. I couldn't have waited until the weather was 70 degrees. I guess I'll keep my day job as an airplane mechanic.

It appears you concur.

Thanks again.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 16, 2006, 09:46 AM
    A while back I was hooking up a new Honeywell thermostat to a new Heat Pump and miswired it due to crummy instructions from Honeywell. Labman, who used to be the resident thermostat guru on this site had me check for 24 volts from the transformer in the unit (red lead). I got zero, indicating a fried one. A new transformer cost me the princly sum of $11. Installed it, problem fixed. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting Thermostat Old to Digital [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to convert an old thermostat to a new one? 7 whire harness with colors, Orange (O), Yellow (Y), Black (X2), White (W or U), Red (R), Brown (T), Green (G). New has S1, S2, RC, R, O/B, Y, G, C

Installing noma digital thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I am having difficulty replacing my old thermostat with a Noma brand programmable thermostat. The old thermostat - an old manual mercury type - is connected to 5 wires labelled on the circuit board as G, R, Y, W, and 4. it looks very much like the model shown on this website: ...

Installing Ceiling Fan Wall Remote with Red & Black Wires? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Hampton Bay Wall Remote Control that transmits a signal to a receiver that I will install behind the Ceiling Fan assembly. Problem: Remote instructions state to connect the 2 Black wires from the wall switch to the new Remote switch. The wall switch has a Red and a...

Thermostat wires [ 4 Answers ]

Our new puppy pulled the thermostat wires loose from the outside air conditioning unit. No damage to any wires, but I need to know which wire goes to which. From the inside, the wires are blue and yellow. The outside unit has brown and blue. Which to which?

View more questions Search