Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Helen Roberts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Temperature Pressure Relief Valve
    I am a new homeowner and need to manually operate the temperature-pressure relief valve on my water heater. How long do I open the valve for? Will water come out of the pipe? I'm new to this.

Thank you,

Helen
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 25, 2008, 05:20 PM

Just pull up on the handle.

And if it hasn't been operated in a while, a good shot of muddy HOT water will likley spew out of it.

FYI when you do this, I'd do it when a hardware store is open in case the valve doesn't close properly and leaks there after.

Which is why I normally don't pull the handle on them unless I have to.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 07:15 PM

Helen, this is not something folks should be doing. Why are you doing this? That valve is a safety valve and once you open it there is a slight chance it will not completetly seal. If you must drain or flush your tank you use the drain spigot at the bottom of the tank. Please tell us what you are doing and why.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 10:11 PM

Moved to plumbing
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 01:53 AM

Hi Helen,

I agree with ballengerb1 (Bob) you don't open this valve, but some manufacturers recommend to open this valve while you are draining your water heater other wise no touch,we don't recommend to open this valve, please answer to Bob's question, Thanks.

Regards,
    John

Dec 30, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Helen, this is not something folks should be doing. Why are you doing this?? That valve is a safety valve and once you open it there is a slight chance it will not completetly seal. If you must drain or flush your tank you use the drain spigot at the bottom of the tank. Please tell us what you are doing and why.
    Andrewc was right. I just read what my manual told me to do. Thanks for replying. I'm guessing my thing to do is nothing then.

Thanks for helping the helpless (ME!)

Helen
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 09:45 PM

Absolutely nothing, Helen ! Just enjoy your new house !:D

Dec 31, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Absolutely nothing, Helen ! Just enjoy your new house !:D
    Thank you Milo. It is comforting to know that such a website exists and that such helful and nice people like ourself are part of it.

Helen :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open the temperature/pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure how to open the tpv valve on my water heater. I am trying to drain my water heater and I have read that this needs to be done as well. I also want to check that it is working. Jamie

Pressure relief valve leak [ 1 Answers ]

Have a gas water heater for 8 yrs and trouble free. There is some water leak through the pipe connected to the pressure relief valve, which I never observed before. How would I know if I need to replace the valve. I have read some responses (not to my questions) from other members indicating the...

Pressure relief valve [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a State Select brand water heater (40 gallon) which is about 4-5 years old. It recently has begun to leak from the pressure relief valve, and is leaking a lot:( , especially after taking a shower... Is this a simple fix of replacing the valve or something more serious? Any and all...

View more questions Search