Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Scabs on cats' necks
    I have five cats, four of which have been developing small scabs around their necks, throats and the backs of their heads. They allow to scrape them off, without complaint, but they recur within several days. I have no idea what they could be or how to get rid of them. I hope someone can help me!:confused:
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 03:35 PM

Sounds like a secondary skin infection that will require antibiotics-this will be a bandaid to the reason WHY they get the scabs in the first place. The most common reason to get bacterial overgrowth which causes the scabs or irritation is an allergy. The most common allergy cats and dogs face is an allergy to flea bites, flea saliva, seasonal and inhalent allergies, food allergies and being allergic to the containers their food and water are served in being the least common. Are they on topical flea preventative purchased from your vet? It's an easy thing to try-apply once monthly without fail for a few months and see if that doesn't take care of it. Even if they never go outside, you don't see them on the cat, they don't appear to be scratching-all of these things do not mean they are not challenged by them. Advantage is a great, non toxic flea control to try that can only be purchased through your vet. The stuff sold at pet stores or other stores simply does not work. If you think I'm nuts and want to try something else, switch your plastic food/water bowls for stainless or vice versa as well as try a hypoallergenic formula to feed. Another reason for the scabs can be ear mites: again, treat with a prescription from your vet and repeat in 2 weeks to kill the eggs. Hope this helps!
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2008, 10:33 AM

If you have five cats with only four of them having these scabs, it could be that the cat w/o scabs is roughing up the others a bit. It may not be mean and just play, but cats that like to wrestle around often have small scabs in all the places you described. Just a thought if the topical medication does not solve the problem.
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 01:00 PM

Your answer makes sense except that only the three youngest and the oldest play and roughhouse. The one that has no scabs never plays like that! She is too busy sitting on my lap or my computer monitor! I am trying flea treatment and will see what happens but thanks for the input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of scabs [ 1 Answers ]

When I get a zit I usually pick it,and it turns into a scab. Is there a way to get rid of it as soon as possible?

How to get rid of scabs [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to get rid of scabs? I have one on my chin and it is really sore! And it looks really horrible please help me

How to get rid of scabs [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to get rid of scabs? I have one on my schin and it is really sore! And it looks really horrible please help me

Scabs I'd like Gone [ 4 Answers ]

I cut myself shaving my legs quite badly and I would like to know how do I get rid of this scab quickly?

80s movie bandaid on necks kids scary alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am new to this board and am not sure how to get answers but I have a movie on my mind that I can't thnk of the name. When I was a child in the 80s I watched a movie about and never saw the end. I have never learned the name. If my memory is correct it is about a young boy... maybe aliens......

View more questions Search