Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abmartin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 03:01 PM
    How to train our nine month old puppy
    We're currently trying to train our nine month old puppy whom was adopted in Gulf Port, MS over the summer. He chews on everything from my mothers new couch pillow, tennis balls, the corner of down comforters and stuffed animals. He's adorable though, don't get me wrong. Meet John Doe

If you have any tips as to how we can get him to stop chewing on things, I'd really appreciate it! If you care to e-mail me, you can reach me at [email protected]
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 03:19 PM

Welcome to the world of Labs and Lab mixes! If you and your pup survive puppydom-which unfortunately lasts up to 2 years with this breed, you'll be doing great! This is an "oral" breed-fixated on things to put in their mouths. The best advice is to puppy proof your house, never leave him unattended to do the destruction (ask your vet about crate training), have plenty of praise for when he does chew on the right things, and, last but not least, puppy daycare and/playmates to wear him out! Our Golden Retriever was a digger at this age-come to find out, he was bored! We got another dog and the bad behavior stopped. We as humans are not made to be alone and, it seems, dogs don't like it so much either! Good luck!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 03:39 PM

Be sure to see the new movie, "Marley & Me," or read the book. It's about a yellow lab who chewed or ate or attacked eveything in sight. Watch your dog carefully as to what he puts into his mouth, and dog-proof the area he's in. Like someone said above my post, labs are orally-fixated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2008, 04:18 PM

The dog looks trained really well to sleep in the bed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 3 month old female daschund. She is very hard to potty train. [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: :eek: My 3 month old female daschund will not learn to potty outside. She will go to the door and unirnate at the door. She will also be outside for 30 minutes and come right in and urinate. Sometimes when you go to pick her up, she will run away and urinate. Is there something we can do...

How do I train a pet store puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a 4 month old Westie from a local pet store a week and a half ago. (Never did before). The problem we are having is after we feed him we wait 10 minutes and go outside with him for another 10 minutes. He always pees at this time but not always poops. SO inside we go and wait...

Hard to train my 5 month old Shorkie [ 2 Answers ]

I have been taking my 5 month old Shorkie (Shih Tzu and Yorkie) out to do get him to do his business, but he just wants to play and sniff without doing his business. We stay out for at least 30 minutes and then I bring him back in and he urinates and defecates on his newspaper. How do I get him to...

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

How do I train my 5 month old Pomeranian not to go potty in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

A quick remedy for teaching my 5 month old Pomeranian, not to go potty in the house. I just bought him 2 days ago.

View more questions Search