Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omiplomi Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 25, 2008, 02:46 PM
    how do i calm down my puppy?
    :confused: I have an adorable 4 month old chihuahua x jack russell called meg. I love her but at night she never settles down. I've tried massages, exercise and yawning at her. I need some help ?
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 03:13 PM

Is she used to a crate? Crate training is the best way to get a dog to adapt to your schedule, esp such a young one who happens to be 1/2 of a very high energy breed! You may want her to sleep with you but it will be you that gets no sleep because, at this age, life is a party and any attention is better than none to her. When you go to bed, she needs to be crated on the other end of the house in a quiet room with no sound and only a night light. She will bark and whine for a while, but it WILL get easier. During the day, the crate door needs to be left open with her favorite toy, blanket and small hidden treats inside for her to explore. The crate needs to be only large enough or her to turn around and lay down in. Dogs are den animals by nature and she will grow to love her "house". It's a place she will feel safe in, a place to go if she (ever) gets tired, etc. I pormise, if you stick to your guns, this will work but it is something that you have to be consistent with-day and night! Good luck!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 26, 2008, 01:54 AM

I would like to add, that your energy is very important! Do not make a big deal out of putting her in her crate. Lead her there matter of factly, without words. Keep a calm and firm assertive manner when crating her. Whatever you do, don't say things in an excited tone, for instance things like... "C'mon!!...It's bedtime!!...lets go!!!" No massages, no bedtime talk, just into the crate, and leave. Yawning has no meaning to her, and by massaging her, although you are well intended, may relax her a little, but it is not teaching her what is expected, and what you need for her to do.

Pick a time of night, or even during the day for that matter, and calmly lead her to her crate, and close the door. The size of the crate is also important. It should be small. This isn't a place for her to play, and they are actually more comfortable in a small place, where there isn't room to roam. This isn't mean, and you will not hurt her feelings. You are teaching her what is expected of her, and she will adapt a lot easier this way, and will start to learn that you are her packleader, and she will instinctively follow! Think of it as tucking your child into bed, and expecting that they are going to stay in their room until morning. It will sure make your life a lot easier if you start this right now.

Also, this isn't a place where you put her to punish her. Don't send her mixed signals, or she will get confused, and not understand what you expect her to do. If you confuse her, other bad behaviours will surface, because she will become unsure. Dogs understand pack behaviour, and if you show her that you are the leader, she will have no choice but to follow. That is the order of things in a pack, and that's what makes them happy. :)

You've picked a dog that is a mix of two very high energy breeds. You need to establish the role of pack leader early on, or you could have quite a job ahead of you.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

School is almost here and I need something to calm me down [ 8 Answers ]

I'm freaking so badly. :( This is my last year in middle school so I'm freaking about how when 8th grade is over I'm going to high school. Another reason is mostly because my classes are advance and are very hard and they'll be time consuming and I'm very slow at learing thingss so I'm afarid...

I need calm nerves! [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I'm going on a casting call tommarrow for a raymour & flannigan commercial but, I'm EXTREMELY nervous. PLEASE help me calm my nerves! I'm great with everything like knowing my lines, but once I get in front of everyone, I forget. HELP?

When do lads calm down [ 9 Answers ]

I understand its probably normal for guys in their 20s to have high sex drives, but when do they calm down, and I don't mean not wanting sex as I'm sure that's never, but surely they can't go on until their dead thinking of sex all the time. Are they ever just happy with love makign or does it...

How to calm down my dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2yr old dog who is very hyper. Every time I let her out she squeaks, and runs down the stairs and on my way down the stairs she runs back up and jumps all over me till I let her out the door. She does this every time I let her out.

Paranoid father, how do I get him to calm down? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been friends with this girl for over a year, and I finally asked her to date me in January. Her father and I had become really good friends during the time we were hanging out, but as soon as I started dating his daughter, he flipped out and basically hates me now. He limited us to holding...

View more questions Search