Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Dec 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
    ASUS Operating System
    We were given a mini laptop called an ASUS (eee) computer. Were are trying to download a driver for a hp printer (D2560) we got for christmas and it asks for the operating system. When I go on System, it doesn't list the operating system. (everything but) How could we find out what system it operates on? Thanks and Merry Christmas...
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Dec 25, 2008, 02:20 PM

If you have a start button, go start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system information, let it load, and it should be the first entry for the operating system.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 25, 2008, 04:58 PM
    I believe that the ASUS uses a version of Linux, but as you didn't mention which model you have it's difficult to help further.

More information can be found here: Eee PC | Easy to Learn, Work and Play
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 26, 2008, 10:17 AM

The ASUS eee does indeed use Linux; go to the terminal and enter the command

/proc/version

Which should tell you what version it's running. I believe newer versions of the eee run some version of Linux Xandros. You should be able to bring up a terminal window on the eee with Ctrl-Alt-T.
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Dec 26, 2008, 10:28 AM

Thanks everyone, the model is Asus eee 2g surf. When you say Terminal, what are you referring to. On the Hp website, it says, I have to get to a screen to run a ".run file" (that is the driver file for the HP printer) A little confusing without the plug and play like XP has...
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 26, 2008, 06:13 PM

When you press the Ctrl, Alt, and T keys simultaneously, you should see a window open with a prompt. This is the Linux operating system prompt; the window is referred to as a "terminal" or "shell" for historical reasons.

At that prompt, you would enter the instructions given on the HP website to install your driver; when you're done with the process, type "exit" to terminate the shell. If you're going to be using a Linux machine, you might want to get a book or two like Linux for Dummies, or Linux for Non-Geeks (both available at Amazon.com).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operating system [ 1 Answers ]

WHILE OPENING ANY OF MY DRIVES BY DOUBLE CLICKING A MESSAGE IS SHOWN AND I CANNOT OPEN THAT DRIVE .IF I AM OPENING D DRIVE THEN MESSAGE AS ALLOWS Cannot find script file "D:\MS32DLL.dll.vbs" I can open the drive by right clicking the mouse.

Operating system [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between winows 98 and windows XP?

Mac Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

Currently using Mac OS8.6... Is there a download available to OS 9

No Operating System [ 7 Answers ]

I have a IBM 390X laptop, and the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable. The computer is designed for win98, and I have a CD Windows 98 Second Edition. What are the steps I need to take to get this computer working...

View more questions Search