Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abmartin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
    How to train 9mnth old puppy
    Does anyone have any tips as to how my family and I should go about training my brothers nine month old adopted puppy. We have guessed his breed to be at least half yellow labrador retriever - some have said greyhound although his small in size.. Here's a couple pictures of him - his names John Doe. My brother got him in Gulf Port, MS while he was stationed there and couldn't bring him back for a couple months so he named him himself - sweet joke?

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 01:11 PM

I have moved your post to the dog section, you posted on the feedback area. Please watch where you are posting so you get the most help.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 04:48 PM

I answered to your other post-labs are very oral and, unfortunately, don't mature until 2 years of age. My suggestions are to ask your vet about crate training, offer plenty of things he can chew on and praise him when he does, puppy proof your house and never leave him unattended. One of the greatest solutions we used at our house was to get another dog! They now chew on each other and are not bored! Hope this helps...
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 26, 2008, 02:29 AM

Well from your pictures, she is most definitely predominately yellow Lab! I really can't see where the greyhound comes in, but I'm just going by your pictures.

You are lucky. Labs are an extremely intelligent breed, and are fortunately very quick learners if trained properly. They are generally gentle people pleasers, and very attentive, and easy to train.

For starters, I suggest that you might want to pick up a copy of the book or dvd, "Cesars Way." It has lots of good training tips, and also helps you to understand the pack mentality of your dog. There are many other books also. This just happens to be the one I find to be most helpful when training your dog.

Another note: Have you had him neutered? This will make him much easier to train, and will prevent many future health problems.

Good luck... he's a precious little guy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I Train my new puppy not to bite my cat? [ 14 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy and my cat is about 8 years old. She (my cat) has lived with dogs in the house since she was a kitten but has been living for about 6 months as the only pet because an older dog of mine passed away. Now I have a new puppy and he's proving to be much more of a handful than my...

How to train a puppy to walk with leash [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone! So I picked up a job walking dogs for a lady in the neighborhood that health-wise can't walk her two bigger dogs herself. She rescued a German Shepard puppy. He is about 4-5 months old and has never been walked. Needless to say, it's next to impossible to get him to walk. He...

How do I train a pet store puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a 4 month old Westie from a local pet store a week and a half ago. (Never did before). The problem we are having is after we feed him we wait 10 minutes and go outside with him for another 10 minutes. He always pees at this time but not always poops. SO inside we go and wait...

How do I train a puppy in genearl for anything. [ 5 Answers ]

I've recently got a pom cross shihz tzu puppy who is 11 weeks old or so. He very obedient and calm. The people who I've got it from said it was potty trained. Put some paper down and it will go there. It does it sometimes and other times it doesn't. In the house it will follow me everywhere and...

View more questions Search