Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kris NY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Won judgement, need to collect in NY
    I won a judgement for $1,000. I know the debtors home address, I know where she works and I know what bank she uses. She is currently trying to buy the house she is living in, it is under contract. I think I have some leverage with her in the process of home buying, and I know she will not want her employer to get wind of this. I am thinking I will send her a demand letter and if no response I will follow procedure to garnish wages. Any advice??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2008, 06:30 AM

I would go back to the court and obtain a writ of garnishment against her salary. Then contact and tell her you have the writ but will hold off serving it if she pays up. This will let her know you mean business. You might also obtain a writ of attachment against her bank account, but don't tell her about that as she may change banks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 08:14 AM

Demand letter,? You had them served with court papers and they now have a judgement, if they were going to pay, they would,
    So you go back to court and get a garnishment, personally, I would not even ask her to pay, I would just serve it and get my money.

If they were or wanted to pay they would have by now.

Dec 25, 2008, 09:58 AM

Chuck does have a point. If they didn't make patment arrangements before walking out of the courthouse, they aren't showing a willingness to pay.

On the other hand, they make not think you can enforce the judgement. That's why I suggested getting the writ of garnishment first. Show you are serious.
    Kris NY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 06:05 AM

Thank you for your help. I am totally in the dark here. I went back to the Court after consulting with the Sheriff. I was told by the Sheriff I need an income execution signed gy a judge, but he judge had never heard of this. This is a very small Village small claims court. Any ideas?? Thanks. Kris

Jan 21, 2009, 07:01 AM

The Sheriff seems to have given you the right info according to my knowledge. The judge may know this as a writ of garnishment or writ of attachment. The first is used to garnish wages, the second to attach a bank account.

I found a sample of a writ of execution here:

http://www.nyed.uscourts.gov/pub/doc...fExecution.pdf

The clerk of the court should be able to tell you were to get the form for a writ of garnishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I collect child support arrears in judgement [ 6 Answers ]

OK - so now I'm owed almost 45,000.00 in back child support, most of it all in judgement. How on earth do I ever collect any of it? Are there any "loan companies" that will buy this & then they pursue it?

How can I collect on a small claims judgement? [ 12 Answers ]

I won a judgement of about 3000 $ nine years ago here in New York city and was told by the court it is good for fifteen years... If need be, can I renew the judgement?. How I can collect from this deadbeat?. I have tried to locate him through peoplesearch but to no avail... Appreciate all...

Does a collection agency have more rights to collect a judgement? [ 1 Answers ]

We lost a case in small claims court because we were not well enough prepared to ask the tough questions. The person filing against us is dishonest and we didn't do our job to prove otherwise. He was represented by a collection agency. This took place in Nova Scotia. We arranged to make monthly...

Collect Judgement from Business [ 1 Answers ]

I won my small claims Judgement against a business that caused damages to my vehicle. They did not appear in court. How do I collect from a business? Thank you Jeri

For how long can a creditor collect on a judgement? [ 4 Answers ]

Let's suppose a creditor (open account) obtains a judgement before the SOL runs. Is there any limit to how many years the creditor may attempt to collect on the judgement? Also, with the judgement in hand, can the creditor place a lien on an inheritance? Thank you.

View more questions Search