Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dumewick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 09:20 AM
    401(k) and retirement plan
    What is the difference between 401(k) plan and Retirement plan?Is this the same or different?
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2008, 10:30 AM
    "Retirement plan" is a general term that could refer to a specific investment vehicle such as a 401k. 401k is a specific investment vehicle sanctioned by the federal government that allows employers to place employee wages into a mutual fund (or bond fund or individuals stocks) which then grows tax free until it is withdrawn in retirement. For more information see: 401(k) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a lot of good books out there to help you understand these issues. A great place to start is "Personal Finance for Dummies." I know the title is offputting, but the substance is great. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Helping Mr. Road plan his retirement. [ 1 Answers ]

Old Alfred Road, who is well-known to drivers on the Maine Turnpike, has reached his 70th birthday and is ready to retire. Mr. Road has no formal training in finance but has saved his money and invested carefully. Mr. Road owns his home - the mortgage is paid off - and does not want to move. He...

How does our retirement plan compare to other boomers? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to get a handle on how my wife and I are doing, relative to our demographic, on retirement preparation. We are in our late 50's (me 58, she 56) with no kids and no mortgages. Our primary home is worth about 1 million and we own a rental property worth about $450K. In investments...

Withdrawing my 401K & Retirement plan [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving out of state and am looking into withdrawing my 401K to pay my debt and moving expenses since I will be unemployed for a short period. I have about $47K in my 401K Plan and $24K in my Retirement Plan. I know I will pay a 10% penalty. Are the tax consequences/penalties the same...

Retirement plan contribution [ 7 Answers ]

I am in my companies retirement plan through American funds. When I first stared 1 1/2 years ago. After three months they started taking money out of my check to companies in there retirement plan. How do they have the right to take money out of my check without my consent? Is this legal? I...

How should a 26yr old invest/plan for retirement? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a single 26yr old trying to be financially responsible while working part-time and going to school part time. I’ve tried talking to my bank employees but I think they just want me to purchase their plans. I don't have or make enough to warrant paying for investment advice. I'm concerned that...

View more questions Search