Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkrogel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Salary Exempt Holiday/Sick Pay
    I am a Salary Exempt employee. I was provided with two weeks vacation pay, but no personal or sick days. When I have missed work due to illness I have had to use my vacation days to cover the missed time. Is this legal? Also, when the Owner of the company I work for decided to close for the day after Thanksgiving I had to use my vacation pay to cover this time as well. Is this legal? She has now decided to close the day after Christmas and I have no vacation time left to cover this day. Is it legal for her to deduct the pay from my salary? Also, if I am sick for a day or two within a work week, and I do not have the vacation pay to cover it or a sickness plan to compensate me, is it legal for her to deduct my salary?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 07:42 AM

Salary is suppose to mean whatever amount of hours you are suppose to get the same pay.
    I don't know if it is legal for her to use your sick days as vacation,
    It may be. But using days she is closed should be on her.
    She is using salary to her advantage rather than how it is meant.
    I would get a print out of exactly how salary is meant to work and show it to her. If she still doesn't budge I would figure out what you should be making per hour and tell her you want to go to hourly.
    If all else fails---find another job! Then she may see just how good she had it with you and regret she took advantage.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Dec 29, 2008, 09:06 AM

Vacation pay is considered a fringe benefit and is not required to be paid by the employer as is sick pay. If it is paid by the employer than the employer can say when and how it may be used.

If you are off one whole day sick vacation pay may be used to cover it or if none is left it can be deducted.

If the company closes one whole day over the holidays vacation pay may be used to cover the time. If no vacation pay is left than you still must be paid.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Got holiday tickets not paid for holiday [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I booked a holiday in Feb and only paid low deposit. Then due to finaces I did not pay anymore so could not go. This morning the holiday tickets (flight and accommodation ) arrived. I went on the website to try and pre-book the flight seats and it let...

Salary requirement while out on sick leave [ 4 Answers ]

Our company policy for all employees requires use of sick or vacation time for days out. Also, we require on line time clock for all employees. We have a department manager that seldom adheres to the time clock policy. Recently, she was gone for over three weeks with a claim of sick time. She...

Salary treatment with Sick and Vacation pay [ 2 Answers ]

If you are salaried at 40 hours per week and you have company paid vacation and sick leave how do you calculate your pay for the week if you are absent for 4 hours of one day.

Exempt and non-exempt salary [ 2 Answers ]

I know that non-exempt salary employees are paid for overtime. What is the federal legal requirement for an exempt employee. i.e. management?

Salary Exempt -vs- Salary Non-Exempt [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what makes a position Salary Exempt -vs- Non-Exempt.

View more questions Search