Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahlzun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 11:58 PM
    Dog not eating
    Toy Maltese, approx. 12 yrs old recently appears to have stopped eating or drinking.

Normally she is a severe guts, and will push other animals out of the way to eat their food (if they're slow eaters).

She seems to exhibit no other symptoms apart from some lethargy, which I cannot be sure was unusual before this.

We very recently gave her a haircut (a pretty thorough one), and it seems to be that she has been affected since. Unsure if related.

Whenever she approaches, or is made to approach food or water, she stands near it, perhaps sniffing it a few times, with a forepaw curled up underneath her, like a pointer dog.

Attempts to force her to eat have met with little success, putting food in her mouth (wet or dry) results in her spitting it out at first opportunity.

Confused. Help.
    Kahlzun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahlzun View Post
    Toy Maltese, approx. 12 yrs old recently appears to have stopped eating or drinking.

Normally she is a severe guts, and will push other animals out of the way to eat their food (if they're slow eaters).

She seems to exhibit no other symptoms apart from some lethargy, which I cannot be sure was unusual before this.

We very recently gave her a haircut (a pretty thorough one), and it seems to be that she has been affected since. Unsure if related.

Whenever she approaches, or is made to approach food or water, she stands near it, perhaps sniffing it a few times, with a forepaw curled up underneath her, like a pointer dog.

Attempts to force her to eat have met with little success, putting food in her mouth (wet or dry) results in her spitting it out at first opportunity.

Confused. help.

UPDATE: We managed to get her to drink a little bit of milk. Considering trying to get her to drink more, possibly laxative effect? Clogged bowel? What symptoms would that present?
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Dec 24, 2008, 08:11 AM

Because dogs are lactose intolerant, I highly recommend skipping the milk.
    It sounds like a vet visit is needed asap. I'm not sure how long it has been since the eating stopped, however any kind of obstruction often follows with vomiting. I would recommend trying boiled chicken and rice, no salt what so ever. No salt chicken broth might help her re-hydrate. If she likes ice, try that. If there seems to be some interest, you can try making ice cubes with the broth. Skipping a meal or two is not a huge concern as the dog ages, however it should resume to normal after that and water is a must. Please call around and find a vet who can see you today. Please let us know how everything is going.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Yes, the vet. It is all covered in the sticky at the top of the page.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 27, 2008, 07:52 AM

At 12 years of age, as labman suggest, you need to take this dog in and, at the bare minimum, have some basic bloodwork done. Also, has this dog ever had a dentistry performed under sedation? Severe tartar, gingivitis, loose teeth hurt. Not to mention the bacteria that can make it's way down to the heart and other organs causing infection. Elevated liver enzymes make pets very nauseated thus causing inappetance. Quit looking stuff up here and look up a veterianrians phone number and make an appointment!
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 27, 2008, 07:53 AM
    And yes, milk is a laxative to dogs-not a good idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Not eating anything [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.My pet's name is SONY.She is 13yrs old and its pomeranian breed.Actually its very thin and eats very less food.But suddenly since two days she is neither eating nor drinking anything.She is always sleeping and not at all moving.So what can I do inorder to make my pet active.

Not eating [ 1 Answers ]

All of a sudden my Border Collie has stopped eating.. It started Sunday and Today(Monday) he still will not eat... He adctually vomitted Sunday... I have a vet appointment but they can not see me till Wed. He acts about the same but isn't typical. He will eat treats but nothing else. I even opened...

Sht-zu not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I brought a 8 week old puppy home and am using the same food the breeder used. He only nibbled a little bit but am concerned he isn't getting enough. We brought him home on Sunday 8/17/08 @ 2pm and it is now 8/18 @930am. Could it be he is just a little homesick and this is just a short lived...

Dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for several weeks now. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago because she was not eating and would gag every time she did. On the way to vet she threw up a dead animal. It was raw meat, fur and claws. It really made me sick. I think it was a rabbit she had killed. ...

Eating [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have 2 problems, First my mom used to put people food in our two four year old Bichons when they wouldn't eat. She also hand fed them and gave them people food at and away from the dinner table a lot. Recently I have been training them to stop begging and there is no more table food. ...

View more questions Search