Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 10:24 PM
    401 K choices
    My company allowed us to contribute to a 401K plan via our Union pre-tax dollars in June. I made the following allocations. Now with the markets the way they are should I make some changes to what I have chosen in this list or leave it as is? Thanks.

5% High quality bond
    5% Infl-prot sec
    6% High yield bd
    5% Val & inc
    11% Value
    11% Gr & inc
    22% Eqty growth
    5% Mid cap value
    5% Mid cap growth
    3% Sm cap value
    4% Spec eqty
    3% Sm cap growth
    15% Intl
    FrankK2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2008, 08:35 AM
    The short answer is that there is no reason to change your fund allocations just because the market has gone down. Assuming that you aren't retiring in the next five years, I wouldn't do anything. Just sit tight. Remember: the stock market goes up, and it goes down. People -- and the news media -- like to forget the last part of that sentence.

Now I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask. In my opinion, you appear to be overly diversified. It looks like you just put a little money in every fund offered in your 401k plan. I would suggest subscribing to Money or Kipplinger magazine ($12 per year). These magazine offer basic investing knowledge that might help you focus in on the funds that best meet your objectives, i.e. when you want to retire.

Congratulations on starting your savings and investing plan. By far, the most important thing is how much you save, not what you put your savings in.
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankK2 View Post
    The short answer is that there is no reason to change your fund allocations just because the market has gone down. Assuming that you aren't retiring in the next five years, I wouldn't do anything. Just sit tight. Remember: the stock market goes up, and it goes down. People -- and the news media -- like to forget the last part of that sentence.

Now I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask. In my opinion, you appear to be overly diversified. It looks like you just put a little money in every fund offered in your 401k plan. I would suggest subscribing to Money or Kipplinger magazine ($12 per year). These magazine offer basic investing knowledge that might help you focus in on the funds that best meet your objectives, i.e. when you want to retire.

Congratulations on starting your savings and investing plan. By far, the most important thing is how much you save, not what you put your savings in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Career choices [ 1 Answers ]

I want to go to college and eventually get a good job. I don't know what to do. I want a job that pays a lot of money and I want a job that has nothing to do with the medical field. I'm a senior in high school and I'm undecided. I wanted to get into the zoology field but unless your in the vetinary...

New roof choices [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Got 3 prices for 30 year architectural asphalt timko vs timberline 30 squares 1212 sq foot ranch gable front and gable garage style. 8500 10k and 12.5k.. middle guy did work for us years ago and was fine he still is old school family of 4 does all work with family and he hand nails all. ...

Making choices [ 11 Answers ]

Last night, I happened across a quote in the form of a question. It stopped me in my tracks. The anonymous author simply asked: "If there was no way you could fail, what one thing in the world would you do?" Personally, I'd like more than one option, but that's not how it works. Given...

Choices [ 2 Answers ]

Joe, unfortunately, found himself in Hell after his demise here on earth. Upon his arrival, the Devil greeted him and advised him that he may choose his place of eternity from 3 rooms, behind the 3 doors that were before him. Joe walked up to door #1 and when he got near it the intense heat...

So Many Choices [ 8 Answers ]

This is a complex part of my life. Can anybody PLEASE tell me about the dark haired man that I know so well and care for so much. He has "problems" in his life, and I have "problems" in my life... very, very different problems. I'm looking for a reading... whatever you seems to get. It could...

View more questions Search