Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2006, 12:36 PM
    An instant ftp virus
    Well... whenever I get online, my McAfee catches an ftp virus within 3 - 4 seconds and sometimes it keeps on catching it for a many time. Although this ain't causing any problem but it's quite annoying. Can someone tell me wats going on with my computer.
    GB
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 15, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Does McAfee give a name for the virus, I'm sure that would help with removal instructions.

Jul 18, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Well... it says The file C:\Windows\System32\i was infected by the W32/Sdbot.worm!ftpvirus and has been deleted to complete the clean process.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Hmm, If McAfee says its been deleted yet keeps finding it, then something is wrong. I would contact McAfee about it.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jul 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Likely, there is a process that McAfee is not detecting that is launching when IE starts. Try booting into safe-mode and run a scan from there.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 18, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Sometimes processes can get stuck in a loop with antivirus programs. For example: sometimes an email server will download a virus within a message, the antivirus program catches the message and stops it downloading - great eh! No, the problem is that that particular message still needs downloading from the email server so next time the same process happens again. Sometimes the only way to stop the loop is to temporarily disable scanning to let the message download (and therefore complete the process & delete message off email server) and then remove it once downloaded.

Obviously this can be dangerous, do not do this if you are not sure the virus can be contained and/or that you have a good backup of all your important information.

I give the example of email as this is from my own experience, but something similar may be happening with you on a different service (like FTP).

Good luck - safe mode as described previously is the first choice :)

Jul 19, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Well.. many a times I have disabled my McAfee but nothing bad happened. I think I must scan in safe mode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yahoo Instant Messenger [ 2 Answers ]

After installing found no uninstall feature to remove this from my computer, not found in add/remove programs using control panel either. Is there a program I can download free to remove this or can someone please tell me how to take it off without damaging my registry in any way and to have a...

Instant replies to email. [ 10 Answers ]

Hey hope you can help. I know how to generate instant replies on the new modern versions of Outlook - but I cannot remember for the life of me how you do it on Outlook express. Do I have to create a message rule for this to happen??

AOL Instant Messenger Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.. I have the latest version of AOL IM. Is there a way or option that I can use so that when I sign on people can't tell that I am signed on? Thanks, Paul

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search