Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DASCHUND Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2008, 09:31 PM
    My dog is an overweight giant
    My dog is a daschund, and he is overweight, he should only weigh at least 10 pounds but he weighs 21, he has fat hanging from his belly (alot of fat), he is very active runs fast and everything but he is growing stretch marks and he is only 2 years old. What should I do about my fat dog?:confused:
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 09:33 PM

It sounds like it would be a good idea to consult with your vet. Morbid obesity is really dangerous and you may need to adjust your feeding schedule (and portions) or get him on a special diet. It's also probably a good idea to have the vet do some blood work.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Dec 24, 2008, 08:25 AM

It sounds like the dog is being seriously overfed. I would cut way back on the dog chow and cut out all "people" food if currently being given. If you have more than one dog you might need to separate them during feeding time to ensure he is only eating what he's supposed to eat. Daschunds weight is a very serious issue, since they are prone to back problems. Please see a vet to check for other possible causes and/or health concerns. A professional can help you make decisions on portions and get your dog back to a healthy weight and prolong his life.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 26, 2008, 07:14 AM

OK, first things first. No treats, no people food, a PRESCRIPTION diet such as Purina OM, etc. The lite formula still has too many calories. Let the vet tell you exactly how much to feed. You can add canned green beans, too to fill him up. Have his Thyroid level checked, though-wouldn't that be nice if a supplement could fix this?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 26, 2008, 08:44 AM

I'm also curious as to what you are feeding him and how much. Definitely get his thyroid checked. My dog doesn't overeat, and actually gets fed an organic/all natural diet with no fillers, and extra vitamins and nutrients, and she gained 11lbs in a yr. It turned out she has a thyroid condition, and has to take meds.

Also, you say he runs fast, but how often are you exercising hin? She needs to get out for a fast paced walk or run for at least an hour everyday. You can shorten this by using rollerblades, a bike, swimming pool if one is available, etc. You can also get him used to a treadmill if you have one!

You want him to be around as long as possible, so his diet and exercise are very important! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Red and Giant PANDAS [ 2 Answers ]

What are some things that Red Pandas and Giant Pandas have in common?:confused:

Giant Waterbugs [ 2 Answers ]

What is out on the market that can be used to get rid of these giant waterbugs or the flying roaches. I find them dead all over my house in the mornings. I have never had them like this before. Maybe one or two every once in awhile but never like this... I have tried roach bug spray and boric acid...

Giant pumpkin [ 1 Answers ]

How deep does a giant pumpkin roots grow?

Red and giant pandas [ 2 Answers ]

Are the red panda and giant panda related??

View more questions Search