Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Can a creditor garnish a bank account if there is a payment agreement?
    A while back I asked a question for my friend who is disabled on social assistance, and was being bothered by creditors. Well, since that time, she has made arrangements with the creditors and is paying them $25 a month towards her debt, which is all she can afford with her low income. The collection agency had a writ against her, but they were not able to collect on it was because she has no bank accounts or other assets. However, she recently found out that she qualifies for the Saskatchewan Rental Housing Supplement, a program that helps disabled people live in a decent apartment / building. She sorely needs this money. The catch is, she now needs a bank account, as the monthly benefits must be direct-deposited. My question is, can the collection agency seize her bank account, even though she has a payment agreement and has been sticking to it?

There is a possibility that she can get the housing supplement mailed to her rather than direct-deposited, but she needs a good reason. Is having a writ from a collection agency a good enough reason? Is her money in jeopardy? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jul 15, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Chava, as far as I know, your bank account cannot be seized or garnished if there are payment arrangements in place. I am under the impression that refusal to pay or make any sort of arrangements is the only way this can happen. In Saskatchewan we have some kind of government agency who can tell you what is legal and not legal. I'll grab the number...

Provincial mediation board: 933-6520 (1-800-215-2222)

I know I found a number on the Sask. Gov. website. Maybe calling that number would help. Let me know and I can look for the other number if you want. They had great information.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jul 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Okay, so I went and found the information I thought would help the most. Here it is:

Consumer Protection Branch
    Suite 500, 1919 Saskatchewan Dr.
    Regina, SK S4P 4H2
    Phone: (306) 787-5550 or
    1-888-374-4636 (Toll Free in Saskatchewan)
    Fax: (306) 787-9779
    E-mail: [email protected]

The website was: http://www.saskjustice.gov.sk.ca/cpb/default.shtml

I hope you and your friend get the answers you need.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Thanks so much aqua. I have called Consumer Protection for her before, but not for this particular issue, so I will definitely try that out, thanks!

I will come back and give you some rep when I am allowed to! Blah.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment law [ 8 Answers ]

Can a creditor place a garnishment on my account and take or hold funds without notifying me first. This has recently happened to my bank account and now there are numerous over draft charges because of this hold and the transactions where prior to the hold is this legal. Thank You, Tbreland

Bank Account Judgement [ 10 Answers ]

Last week I discovered that my bank account was 0. I called my bank and they explained that I had a legal judgement against my account for debt collection. I have an appointment with an attorney later this week but cannot cash my paycheck at my bank as they will force deposit it into my account to...

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

Garnishment of bank account for payment of medical bill [ 6 Answers ]

A creditor has won a judgement against me in court for a past due medical bill, and my checking account was garnished and consequently overdrawn. The debt was not completely discharged. I have just filed for SS disability, and have no income and don't expect to have any soon. My family has...

View more questions Search