Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dflorcik Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Where to connect the 'A' wire on a new thermostat?
    I have a Coleman furnace and air-conditioner unit and I want to replace the thermostat. The old one has wires connected to the 'Y', 'G', 'W', 'R' and 'A'. I can't find where to connect the wire that was connected to the 'A' terminal on the old thermostat to the new thermostat. Would anyone know?

Thanks,
    Dave
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 23, 2008, 06:52 PM

Are we to hope that Santa brings us the gift of specific information (i.e. make, model) of your stat and furnace?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:13 PM

Check the thermostat wire connections at the furnace. Find the wire that was connected to the "A" thermostat terminal. What letter designates the terminal that this wire is connected to?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Santa may not come this year since he was ripped off in the hedge fund market.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:23 PM

I heard he got an insider tip, cashed in, and boarded a plane. Or was that bought a plane?

Dec 24, 2008, 03:50 PM

It is a Coleman Furnace model 3115-750 with an Intertherm split system air-conditioner. The thermostat is an Intertherm. There are two numbers on the thermostat: 65A-84-634 and 8045. There two multi-conductor wires going to the thermostat. The first has three wires in it and they are connected to the G, R, and Y terminals. The second has two conductors and they are connected to the W and A terminals. The second two conductor wire seems to go to the high voltage section of the unit behind the fuses above the heating elements. I can't see beyond that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 24, 2008, 04:43 PM

Ok not from Santa but this old post should be helpful to you. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...eat-58313.html

Jan 5, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Actually it wasn't helpful.

Jan 5, 2009, 03:38 PM
    There are no A terminals listed on my master chart of thermostat connections. It is possible this thermostat was made special especially if this is in a mobile home or modular home. The older mobile home units were add on units and they had some crazy wire configurations. Sorry
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 07:11 PM

This is a quote from Northern heat "Thermostat wire color codes explained.
    Please note. Not all installers use the proper color codes when they install or replace equipment. It may be necessary go go to the furnace or outdoor unit to verify what wires are for what purpose. Also be sure there are no splices in the wire that could change the wire colors between components.

R (red) or Rh (Red heat) 24 volts from equipment.
    Rc (Red cooling) 24 volts from transformer in cooling equipment.
    Note: If only furnace has a transformer and cooling equipment does not jumper Rc and Rh.
    W (White) sends 24 volts to furnace control to start the heating cycle.
    W2 (no standardized wire color, usually whatever wire color is available) controls second stage heat.
    Note: W2 is most often used for heat pumps to control what is called emegency heat or Auxillary heat, and most often will use the white wire.
    Y (yellow) often (blue) is used, controls cooling unit (outdoor condensing unit) also is used for heat pump heat.
    Y2 (no standardized wire color, usually whatever wire color is available) controls second stage cooling.
    G (Green) controls the fan "on" operation of the furnace/air handler. Also often is used to start the blower for many electric furnaces.
    C (common) most often brown but can also be black or other color available to installer.
    O (orange) Energizes heat pump reversing valve for cooling (Trane and most other brands).
    B (Blue) Energizes heat pump reversing valve for heating (Rheem, Ruud and Weatherking). "
    Based on this info I agree with HVAC , we don't normally see a terminal A. Any chance of a picture?
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Check the thermostat wire connections at the furnace. Find the wire that was connected to the "A" thermostat terminal. What letter designates the terminal that this wire is connected to?
    It looks like you will have to pursue this, like it or not. It's what I would do when in doubt on a service call.

Jan 14, 2009, 04:14 PM
    It is in fact a mobile home built in 1985. I think that I'll have to draw up a schematic of the thermostat.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 07:02 PM

From your explanation it makes me think that you have a two transformer system, the a/c system using the r, y, g terminals and the w and a terminals for the heating. If this is the case you will need a thermostat with an RC and a RH terminal as well as the Y,G,W terminals. You would connect the wire from the A terminal on the old thermostat to the RH on the new thermostat , the R would connect to RC, the G to G, the W to W, make sure there is NO jumper between RC and RH. Good luck, Mike

Jan 14, 2009, 07:13 PM
    It is in fact a mobile home built in 1985

Back in 1985 Coleman and other manufactures had a cool off heat switch right on the furnace so your system was probably field installed and did not come from the factory wired that way especially since A/C was always a add on back then. I have all the old Coleman/Miller books and none of them show a connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wire 3 wire 2 zone cooling only to Honeywell thermostat [ 10 Answers ]

I currently have two zones for cooling only and the thermostat wires are red, blue and white. The red is labeled Rc which is easy, the white is labeled W Heat (this doesn't make sense to me) and the blue is labeled cool? What I think I need to do is connect the red to the Rc on the thermostat,...

Replacing 6 wire thermostat with 5 wire thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Magic Chef Model 34154C001 thermostat for an electrical heating and cooling system. This model has 6 wires included: W - White R - Red G - Green Y - Yellow O - Orange C - Black I purchased a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat that only has 5 connections. The...

How to connect a 4 wire thermostat? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to wire a 4 wire theromostat but I need to figure out what wire goes to the right terminal. The red is power, the green is fan, but the blue and the white I not sure. The Termostat is a hunter 40035a model. The terminals on it are rh,rc with a jumper wire and g fan, y air conditioner, w...

5-wire thermostat - LOST a few wire labels. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a programmable thermostat (upgrading from a previous programmable that wasn't to our liking. When taking the old thermostat off, I noticed 4 of the 5 wires were labelled. That's a good thing. HOWEVER, when I took the old baseplate off, 2 of the labels fell off (not sure from...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search