Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanya70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 12:45 AM
    Medical assistance
    Hi! I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to work this but here's my story:
    I just took in a stray dog that has been out around my sister's residence for about a month. He is possibly a chow mix or Akita mix (several people say he looks more Akita than Chow). The guess is he's around 1 1/2 to 3 years old. He is pure black and his coat is beautiful. His teeth are also in good shape. He's a very calm, well behaved dog and we haven't had any potty issues (no accidents in the house) which makes me think he's either been abandoned or has wandered and gotten lost. I've been keeping an eye out (as well as my sister) for any notices/postings. My questions are: not knowing what he's been eating out there, he has diarrhea and very bad gas (smells like he's eaten a skunk or is rotting out from the insides). I bought some dog food that is supposedly one of the better kinds (high in protein) but he's not that interested in eating it unless I mix a very little bit of wet food (gravy kind) in with it. I don't want to give him too much and escalate the diarrhea issues. I'm not sure what he's been eating out there running around. He also has some green discharge coming from his penis. He is not fixed. My friend had a dog with this problem and she took him to the vet and the vet told her it's normal in some dogs. Is this right? The only other visible problem with him is he gets discharge coming out of his eyes. His eyes are very clear though - no visible signs of issues.. just a little bit of runny eye that comes back after I wipe the discharge away. My sister said it could be allergies from him being out in the dirt for the past month, but could also be an infection. I am working on getting him into a vet but am concerned about costs right now as we are very low on money. I would love to keep this dog if we can't find his owner and will get him taken care of and fixed, but I just thought I'd check out there and see if anyone has had some similar issues or has any advice other than just getting him into a vet for a checkup since I don't know his history.
    Thanks in advance! :)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 23, 2008, 05:21 AM

The green discharge actually can be normal, as long as it itself doesn't smell, or if he isn't constantly licking at his penis. With that said, I would be very worried about the smell coming from him in general, his lack of appetite, and the discharge coming from his eyes. This to me, would indicate an infection. This could be many things, and you really are going to need to take him to the vet for bloodwork, and a full check-up.

My sense is that he may have been abandoned because the previous owners knew he was sick, and didn't care enough to get him the help he needed and deserved.

I would call your vet first thing in the morning. Describe his symptoms, and see what kind of payment plan you can arrange with them. Tell them the circumstances of how you acquired the dog, and they will probably work with you, so it is easy on your budget.

I wish I could help you more with your question. Bless you for rescuing this dog off the streets, and being so willing to take care of him. I'm sure he will repay you a thousand times for being such a caring person, and taking him into your home! Dogs do understand your kindness through your energy!

Best of luck with him, and I hope he turns out to be a happy and healthy family member! :)
    tanya70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks Starbuck8! I think I will just see about getting him in. He does lick himself down "there" but not all the time. He is such a wonderful dog other than the breath stealing fumes he emits! Thanks for the information.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 23, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya70 View Post
    Thanks Starbuck8! I think I will just see about getting him in. He does lick himself down "there" but not all the time. He is such a wonderful dog other than the breath stealing fumes he emits! Thanks for the information.
    You're welcome! I sure hope it turns out to be a minor thing! :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 10:41 AM

I agree with Starby, but have something to add.

It may be that the change in diet is causing the bad gas and diarrhea. There are many good dog foods out there, shop around until you find one he likes. It could also be he's allergic to the one you bought. Some dogs have sensitive tummies just like us.

The discharge in the eyes can be normal for some dogs, but like Starby said, if it has an odor it's likely an infection that needs to be treated. Keep cleaning the area with a warm wet cloth until you can get him to the vet.

A lot of vets will work out a payment plan, especially if they are aware of the circumstances. Since this dog has been fending for himself for so long, it's important that he has a complete physical to make sure that he is healthy, or gets healthy.

Bless you for taking him in, giving him a home and the love he deserves. I hope it all works out for you and your family.

Merry Christmas. :)
    curious001 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2008, 01:34 PM
    I agree with Starbuck you need to get him to a Vet asap. If there is a Petsmart near you try the Vet tha is connected with them in my town in New Jersey they offer a discount on Saturday for check ups and offer insurance that works out to be about what you would spend on an annual visit for check up and rabies shots. It is better to know what and how bad it is than hope for the best. FYI parvo causes dogs to have odors and is very serious but can be cured. I hope for the best and good luck
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2008, 01:42 PM

Diarrhea in Dogs and Puppies
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 05:00 PM

Look into other pet insurance programs other than Petsmart-we end up with a lot of clients at my clinic that have been over charged and "burned" by them. Purina has good insurance, veterinarypetinsurance.com is good. Discharge on intact males is normal-have him neutered as soon as finances allow. This will also keep him at your house, too since the main reason he was wandering is because he is maturing and "looking for love"! Introduce a bland but high quality diet for him but also: do not feed him anything for 24 hours straight then introduce him to the good food (without any canned formula) and only feed him this. Anything you add to a tummy that is already mixed up comes out ugly unless the intestinal tract has time to rest. Chicken breast and plain white rice is also OK for a short time to get his system straight. He almost certainly has intestinal parasites that need to be addressed and could be the cause of gastrointestinal issues. One dose of Iverhart Max will eliminate intestinal parasites for a month-something he should be on anyway to protect him from these as well as heartwoms. Don't bother with the store brand dewormers: THEY DO NOT WORK AND CAN BE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS. Talk to your vet for the best advice!
    Mushu0910 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 02:29 PM

Well what your dog could have eat on the streets could not be any worst then what your dog is eating in the dog food you are giving him. Dog food is made from raodkill, all the meat that expires in super markets and dogs, cats that died in animal shelters and at the vet. Animals that died do to diseases and cancer. This animals are then soled to rendering companies. This companies cook the animals with hair skin and even the name tags still on them, then they are crush with bone and all. Then they are soled to the companies the make your dogs food as animal meat, and yes this dog food companies do know what is in this meat. Even the so called high quality do food is made from this meat. I have done so much research on this. At fist I did not want to believe it, but after all the research I no longer give my dog this crap that they so called the best food you could give your dog. I make him home cooked meals it not as easy as the dog food that was already made for me, but my dog is no much happy and his coat looks better. Also if you are going to cook for your dog you need to make sure it's a well balanced diet for your dog.

HERE IS SOME STUFF YOU SHOULD READ ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOGS FOOD IT MADE OF.

dedicated to promoting and preserving the breed through responsible ownership this

THIS IS ONE MORE.

Mad cow: Can we stop it? Mad cow alters industry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daughter on medical assistance and ssi disability [ 3 Answers ]

Can a judgement be executed against me if my daughter receives medical assistance and social security disability since she is mentally ill

Medical assistance grant [ 2 Answers ]

I need financial assistance grants for a 3 year old appy mare that has been being trained for riding for the handicap children's program, she recently required surgery to save her life and now we have a $2,000.00 vet bill? Yikes? We need help!

Seeking medical financial assistance [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old female and have just recently been diagnosed with severe endometriosis, systic ovaries, and fibroid tumors. The treatment for my conditions is extremely exspensive and I don't have helath insurance. I do work 40 per week but Im not eligible for health insurance through the...

Is there any avialable Medical assistance? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been going to Louisiana State Out Patient Psychiatry Clinic for over 20 years and I am on Social Security Disability for severe depression with anxiety for about 10 years. I have been unable to continue receiving free medication from them now for about 2 or 3 years now, even though all my...

Medical Abortion Your Urgent Assistance Needed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I am in very early pregnancy (4 weeks) and I have misoprostol medication already (for treatment of ulcers). I have not taken the misoprostol since I have been pregnant but am considering using it to induce my own abortion. I need to know which dosage I should take to induce it myself and...

View more questions Search