Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alpachino777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Dvd/cd drive won't boot from Windows Vista cd
    OK so my cd/dvd drive works perfectly fine and I can play cd's on it and dvd's and any kind of cd, but I recently bought windows vista and I want to reboot my computer with it but it won't let me. (I currently have windows xp sp2) but I want to install windows vista. I changed the BIOS to boot from cd, I put the cd in and wait, then it says there is no cd in and that I need to put cd in and press enter. I also checked the cd it works on my other computer.

Any help? Suggestions?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 23, 2008, 07:44 AM

Did you try just booting normally and then putting the cd in? It might let you do it that way.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Is it a bootable Vista CD from Microsoft?
    alpachino777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 12:27 PM

Yes it is and I've tried booting it normally and putting the cd in.

I've tried this cd on my other computer and it works perfectly, I had to reinstall windows xp sp2 on my computer a few months ago because it was not working properly and now the sound doesn't work and the scrolling is very choppy and its just weird, that's why I want to reinstall a new version of windows.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jan 2, 2009, 07:06 AM

When booting... can u see if the bios is seeing the CDROM during boot?

It has too in order for this to work.
    Check in the bios as well to make sure its listed.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 04:51 PM

So if you boot PC normally, put cd in and then go to cd rom drive in windows explorer and go to the setup file and click that, what happens

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Vaio will no longer boot Vista, Hard drive failure? [ 7 Answers ]

Sony Vaio laptop seems bricked 1 week after warranty. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Initial occurance: Wife was loading an app when it froze. She tried a restart and vista failed to boot. Can access BIOS at Vaio splash screen. Windows Boot Manager says : File:...

Can't Boot Without Windows CD in CDROM Drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed Windows XP 64bit on my hard drive. When I boot, I can't get it to boot correctly unless I have the Windows Install CD in my CDROM drive. If I don't have the CD in the drive it gives me the error: "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk". I have the BIOS set up so that the CDROM is...

Compaq laptop Hard Drive won't load windows xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq 3015us laptop that's acting up. Upon start up the compaq splash screen comes up as it should then then the computer runs bios and the next screen asks which boot device I would like to use, Hard Drive (C), CD Rom (D) or Floopy Drive (A), and its never done that before. The...

Blue screen/wont boot to windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a PC problem that I have been trying to fix for 2 weeks. I have the dreaded blue screen, it says registry error. I can not get it to boot to windows xp. It just keeps starting all over. Counting down, and starting all over. Safe mode won't work either. I did that 3 hour check and it...

Windows xp won't load/boot [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my windows xp boot. When I try to boot windows I get the screen that says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I would appreciate all your help. ...

View more questions Search