Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadtreeamatur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 07:12 PM
    2.4 L sunfire/cavalier cam cover removal? Or valve cover?how do I get them off?
    I actually googled the answer to this question... and found it here on this site... but its NOT WORKING FOR ME!. SO PLEASE HELP!. here is the problem... I have a 2.4 L sunfire same as the 2.4 L cavalier.. its a twin cam... it has cam covers.. (not really valve covers I guess)... that have 10 bolts each... I removed them.. and the cover easily prys up except for the end that is near the timing chain cover.. neither cam cover will come off at that point!. I have pryed.. tapped with a hammer etc... so I googled it and pumpkin man asked the same question here last year... he wanted to know if there was some bolt or whatever holding the cam cover to the timing chain cover... and captain rich answered... saying the cam covers are just stuck.. no bolt is through the timing chain cover into the cam cover... but it just will NOT come off... so I am asking to see if there is anyway.. that I am doing something wrong.. or can someone offer a suggestion... did pumpkinman get his off by prying?. damn this is frustrating.. I am thinking of pouring a solvent.. on the cam cover to see if that helps.. I have inserted a large screw driver to pry the cover off.. and it comes off easily except for the end near the timing chain cover.. WHY?. HELP!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 07:18 PM

Don't use solvent and don't keep prying. You need to assess the situation and figure out how it comes apart. My bet is you need to remove the timing chain cover, however that's just a guess. Try buying a Haynes Manual for your car.
    shadtreeamatur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 07:37 PM

I have a manual.. but I just don't get it... I am really stumped on this one..
    Zedhead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadtreeamatur View Post
    I have a manual..but I just don't get it...I am really stumped on this one..
    You don't pry to hard man I broke my timing case. You have to take it off there is a grove that holds it roflmao I cracked my valve cover 2 right at the last thin line but GOOD news!! That new cover is going to be a Sexy One!
    Quad4Guy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadtreeamatur View Post
    I actually googled the answer to this question...and found it here on this site...but its NOT WORKING FOR ME!...SO PLEASE HELP!...here is the problem...I have a 2.4 L sunfire same as the 2.4 L cavalier..its a twin cam...it has cam covers..(not really valve covers I guess)....that have 10 bolts each...I removed them..and the cover easily prys up except for the end that is near the timing chain cover..neither cam cover will come off at that point!...I have pryed..tapped with a hammer etc... so I googled it and pumpkin man asked the same question here last year...he wanted to know if there was some bolt or whatever holding the cam cover to the timing chain cover...and captain rich answered....saying the cam covers are just stuck..no bolt is thru the timing chain cover into the cam cover...but it just will NOT come off...so I am asking to see if there is anyway..that I am doing something wrong..or can someone offer a suggestion...did pumpkinman get his off by prying??..damn this is frustrating..I am thinking of pouring a solvent..on the cam cover to see if that helps..I have inserted a large screw driver to pry the cover off..and it comes off easily except for the end near the timing chain cover..WHY???..HELP!!

Hey man I have a 96 sunfire se 2.4 yes of course the quad 4 engine lol. But I got my cam cover's of by taking timing chain cover of but to do that lol little work but I will tell you what I did. " pulled front passenger tire off behind the tire in fron of A arm witch the brakes and calipers and what not set there's a motor mount there I used a car jack and jacked up till it lifted engine up slightly there took bolt out of motor mount, there swung the mount arm down make sure jack is in place goo if you do what I did. There under the hood passenger side again, water reservoir another mount take this mount off also exposing about a million small bolts lol some nuts also. When I got the top mount off I jacked the engine up very far but its OK they can move pretty high supported by other mount and trans. Mount. But I jacked engine up very high. Till the cast iron bracket that the top mount attaches too needs to come off there's 3 big bolts like I said jack up high to get them, finally when there off nows its them ton of bolts lol and nuts from top near the cam sprockets to the cranck shaft pulley lol. But when you get them tiny bolts and nust off pull back the cover place it some were safe were no dirt is cause if you notice there's oil ports there that's already passed the oil filter and oil pan so directly to engine be engine safe in that process!! then I marked on my sprocket and on the wall lining up both lines. Do this for both sprockets. Of course move chain then un bolt the sprocket pull off the cam shaft prevents you from pulling the cam covers off until the sprockets are removed e-mail me if you need more help. Hope this helps helped me and my sunfire project car is still running hard!!
    sunfire001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
    Man you are so misled. The job you are trying to do involves hours of work and most of the top end, engine mounts, timing chain cover, plates and gears, crank pully removal. The cam covers will NEVER come off if pryed and they are not stuck, they most definitely bolted to the end cast aluminum plate where the oil cap mounts. To remove those covers properly, you are in for a big big job!

Trust me or buy a haynes and find out for yourself, I've done it to my own and never will again.
    Banshee600 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2015, 04:26 PM
    There is four bolts behind each timing gear at the ends of the cam inside the front cover about a 7hr job from start to done good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain cover removal [ 11 Answers ]

We are having problems with our bath tub drain. We have used draino and the like and for a short period it works. However I am looking for a more efficeint fix. I have tried to remove the drain cover before but am unable to do so. I assumed it was attatched to the overflow, but was wrong. The...

Valve cover removal on 1998 z24 cavalier [ 8 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove my valve covers on my z24... 2.4 I have unbolted them but front part of cover seems to be still bolted maybe threw the front.. or are they just stuck on.. I can get it loose but something seems to be holding it down.. thanks steve:eek:

Remove stubborn valve cover [ 2 Answers ]

Remove stubborn valve cover

Stubborn valve cover [ 1 Answers ]

I have removed all of the bolts on the valve cover. Something won't allow it to come off. I have a '97 Cadillac DeVille. Can any one offer a solution?

Plants to cover concrete drain cover [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When I bought my house, no one had even raked the yard for years and I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me. Fortunately, I had been perennial gardening for some time. This was a new challenge, however, because the lot is heavily wooded, and the trees are old growth that were not cut when...

View more questions Search