Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poroz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Epilepsy medicine
    Is there somewhere my daughter can get help with her epilepsy medication? It's $142.00 a month and she can't afford it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
    It all depends on where you live.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 02:38 PM

Sometimes the company that makes the drug will help. Write them a letter and see.
    briancp34 Posts: 34, Reputation: 11

Jul 12, 2009, 04:13 PM

Yes. It does make a difference where you live. She needs to talk to her neurologist. Some medication manufacturers offer a help program so that you can get your meds free of charge until your medicaid case is approved. Her doctor may even have free samples that she could take until medicaid comes through. They usually have lots of samples. Just ask. I'm on $1200 worth of meds a month and my neurologist helped me for close to a year with free samples. It's very likely her doctor can do the same for her. She needs to take steps immediately to get on medicaid. It can take as much 6 to 9 months. But she has to live in America and able to get on medicaid.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 12:33 PM

Have you checked to see if her meds are on the list $4 list for Wal-Greens, Walmart, Fred Meyer or any of those other places?
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2009, 01:56 AM

If generic, she might be able to get it filled at one of the places offering $4 scripts. If brand-name, patient assistance programs run by manufacturers may help. Check with doctor before switching from brand-name to a generic.

If the pharmacy she uses is in the network, Free Drug Card - Discount Drug Card - Prescription Drug Card - Prescription Assistance might lower her cost. I get my Armour Thyroid, 100 pills for the price I was paying for 30. You have to buy in specific minimum quantities to get the discount.

There is information about patient assistance programs here: Patient Assistance Programs - Prescription Drugs for the Uninsured

Finally, is she low-income uninsured? Many states have Primary or Physicians Care cards that provide basic care through the Health Department or a doctor that accepts the PC card. It includes a co-pay pharmacy card. You can usually apply at the Health Dept or Social Services. This is a program for those who don't qualify for Medicaid, which many don't.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 02:08 PM

The patient can't switch from name to generic (or the other way around) without a new prescription from the Physician - the prescription must be filled EXACTLY as written (and that includes generic OR name brand).

It is not the Pharmacist's choice; it is not the patient's choice.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Thread closed. This is a thread from December 2008 and the OP has never returned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sister might have epilepsy, can she just get it at 18? [ 9 Answers ]

My sister has been fainting when she has been in nightclubs and says now that she is fainting when looking at the flames of a fire, can she get it at 18, can it just come on like that? Also I was wondering how will it affect her in the long term, if she does have it, will there be side effects...

Can epilepsy lead to paralysis? [ 4 Answers ]

My mother is 55 yrs old, a diabetic person from last 10 years. In last few months, she has developed epilepsy, where she loses control over whatever she is holding in her hands. Her doctor has suggested Lonazep. I want to know if this is optimum solution. And is there a risk of paralysis?

Epilepsy? There is a cure. [ 12 Answers ]

Thirty years ago I came across a solution for epilepsy and I tried it first on a friend who had grand mal fits every day. I thin advertised... her fits stopped, but when she told her doctor he said he would strike her off his books if she continued "this foolishness". She stopped my...

Epilepsy & Sex [ 10 Answers ]

I heard that some anti-seizure meds can affect one's sex life? (I'm taking lamictal) I heard that epileptic women often have sexual difficulties? Is this true?

View more questions Search