Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 10:42 PM

I do NOT believe.

That doesn't stop me from wishing everyone the best this holiday season, though.

Especially on this Winter Solstice, the beginning of a new year and a the day the Sun comes back to us.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Synnen
    And a Happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year to you.
    Fred (arcura)
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    I do NOT believe.

That doesn't stop me from wishing everyone the best this holiday season, though.

Especially on this Winter Solstice, the beginning of a new year and a the day the Sun comes back to us.
    Is the Winter Solstice considered a "holy day" (i.e. holiday)? Just curious.

You don't have to believe in Christ to have a Merry Christmas do you?

Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your Winter Solstice and the other celebrations as well. :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 09:38 AM

It IS a Holy Day--what we call a "Sun Day".

I wish people a Merry Christmas all the time--and I truly hope that people have one! You don't have to believe what others do to have a great holiday season, regardless.

I really hope everyone here is surrounded by family, cuddled up with joy, radiating peace, and handing out goodwill. The best way to have a happy holiday, in my experience, is to share ALL of the holidays with others, regardless of belief.

The hubby celebrated Yule with me last night, and I'll be celebrating Christmas with him and my parents in 2 days. I missed lighting the Menorrah with a friend this year, but that's okay--there's always next year.

I just hope that everyone is healthy, happy, safe, warm, and well fed this holiday season.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Synnen,
    Thanks and the same to you.
    Fred
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Dec 23, 2008, 05:16 PM

I believe the Bible account of the birth of Jesus Christ.
    (I'm one of those who doesn't believe His birth was Dec. 25th, but that doesn't change the facts.)

Merry Christmas, everyone!!
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Galviston,
    Please go to this sight and see that the birth was not in December, But September and why it is celebrated on Dec 25.
    Plus the scientific evidence for the Star over Bethlehem
    VERY interesting.

THE CHRISTMAS STAR:

Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Dec 24, 2008, 09:16 PM

Yes, great link. I like it cause jesus had his birthday in my month. The part about the magoi was interesting, cause I always wondered what their link was. I wonder if, before he returns, a similar thing will appear in space.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2008, 09:28 PM

I believe in love and hope and Jesus Christ as my savior and all kinds of things in between!
    blue_st4r Posts: 59, Reputation: 0

Dec 24, 2008, 10:13 PM

Sorry to any that will be offended by this. But I do believe that there was a man by the name of Jesus. However, I don't see how he challenged physics by walking on water, and reincarnation etc. The bible is several hundred years old. It could be possible that the authors might have only written things that they wanted people to know.

I believe in the 21st century. Its time to move on.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_st4r View Post
    Sorry to any that will be offended by this. But I do believe that there was a man by the name of Jesus. However, I dont see how he challanged physics by walking on water, and reincarnation etc. The bible is several hundred years old. It could be possible that the authors might have only written things that they wanted people to know.

I believe in the 21st century. Its time to move on.
    Do you therefore also disregard all history based upon documents several hundred years old, such as the history of the United States, George Washington, history of the middle ages, etc.

Dec 24, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Do you therefore also disregard all history based upon documents several hundred years old, such as the history of the United States, George Washington, history of the middle ages, etc.?
    Not really. Funny that you asked. History of united states did not defy signs of gravity or oppose laws of physics. Nothing out of the ordinary happened with the history of US, George Washington or the middle ages. Bible on the other hand contains views on life from an older perspective. Today we have Psychology, Physics, Astronomy and Technology to prove things wrong. For e.g evolution of mankind. Did mankind evolve from monkeys, or the Adam and Eve thing.

Im sorry if you take offence to this, but you have been brain washed for your lifetime. Face it, there is no God in this world. Its only you and your perspective on life. And I feel really bad for the kids who grow up to find that there is no Santa Claus in reality. Sad.

Bye!
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Not really. funny that you asked. History of united states did not defy signs of gravity or oppose laws of physics.
    Actually, if you went back even just a few decades, things were observed in the past that were considered impossible. Many of these have now been proven to be true. As an example, I have a science book written at the end of the 19th century that provides absolute proof that it is impossible to send anything larger than a basketball into outer space, so in fact what the USA has done does indeed defy what people believed to be the laws of physics not too many years ago.

Also, for years, homeowners were denied insurance claims when they claimed lightning damage when the weather records showed no storm activity on that time and date. It has now been proven scientifically beyond any doubt that lightning can and does occur with damaging power even during clear blue skies.

So just because it is something that you don't believe can happen is not adequate reason to believe that it did not happen unless you are claiming omnipotence (which would invalidate your argument in any case).

You said that the Bible was several hundred years old so that the people may have been reporting what they wanted people to know. The same could be said to be true not only of any old document but even more recent documents. But there is one difference. The men who penned the Bible in many cases willing sacrificed their lives for it. If they were simply reporting what they wanted people to believe, but not reporting what they knew to be true, it is more than just unlikely that they would die for something that they knew to be not true. Further, the evidence for the accuracy of the Bible has been validated not just by believers, but by secular historians and archeologists. And there are non-Biblical source which validated many of the key facts surrounding the life and reality of Jesus.

What evidence, other than your opinion, do you have to support your contention? Are you really sure that you are not just reporting what you want others to believe?

Have a Merry Christmas, and it is my hope and prayer that one day you will get to know the man whose existence you are questioning, as so many others including myself have met and come to know Him.

Dec 24, 2008, 11:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Actually, if you went back even just a few decades, things were observed in the past that were considered impossible. Many of these have now been proven to be true. As an example, I have a science book written at the end of the 19th century that provides absolute proof that it is impossible to send anything larger than a basketball into outer space. Also, for years, homeowners were denied insurance claims when they claimed lightning damage when the weather records showed no storm activity on that time and date. It has now been proven scientifically beyond any doubt that lightning can and does occur with damaging power even during clear blue skies. So just because it is something that you don't believe can happen is not adequate reason to believe that it did not happen unless you are claiming omnipotence (which would invalidate your argument in any case).

You said that the Bible was several hundred years old so that the people may have been reporting what they wanted people to know. The same could be said to be true not only of any old document but even more recent documents. But there is one difference. The men who penned the Bible in many cases willing sacrificed their lives for it. If they were simply reporting what they wanted people to believe, but not reporting what they knew to be true, it is more than just unlikely that they would die for something that they knew to be not true. Further, the evidence for the accuracy of the Bible has been validated not just be believers, but by secular historians and archeologists. What evidence, other than your opinion, do you have to support your contention?

I admire your positive attitude. You maybe right. As a Christian, ask yourself something. What would Jesus think of Christianity as it is today if he reincarnated. Would he be happy with the sub-religions in christianity? Would he be proud of all the molestive fathers? Would he believe in every word written in the bible?

Or would he say that his actions have seriously been over praised and over reacted at? Would he bang his head and say that he was only trying to spread peace, love and brotherhood but what the hell is this "christianity cult" today?

Ask yourself these questions and be sure of the answers. I guess you are standing up for what you have been tought all these years. I bet you would talk about the Scientology the same way IF you were brought up with it.

This discussion sounds interesting..
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2008, 11:41 PM
    I admire your positive attitude. You maybe right. As a Christian, ask yourself something. What would Jesus think of Christianity as it is today if he reincarnated. Would he be happy with the sub-religions in christianity? Would he be proud of all the molestive fathers? Would he believe in every word written in the bible?
    I think that there is much that men do in His name which is very wrong. But just because sinful men do things in His name which are wrong does not take away from the truth and reality of His existence and who He is anymore than it would be your fault if someone did someone and claimed wrongly that they did it in your name.

Ask yourself these questions and be sure of the answers. I guess you are standing up for what you have been tought all these years.
    My faith is not a blind faith. I have studied the facts over many years from an historic, and scientific perspective.

I bet you would talk about the Scientology the same way IF you were brought up with it.
    I have studied Scientology also, and there is no evidence, scientific, historic or otherwise to validate that religion. I would ask a Scientologist on here the same thing that I asked you - what evidence is there to back up the belief in Scientology.

Maybe we will carry on the discussion tomorrow - I am going to get some sleep now.
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 10:57 AM
    cogs.
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 11:01 AM

Way off from the Christmas story,

And it is over except in our hearts

Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth of Jesus Christ [ 11 Answers ]

When was Jesus Christ born ?

Re-birth of Jesus [ 29 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is any mention of re-birth of jesus in the scriptures regarding approaximate time and place of jesus's second coming. I've heard from various sources that there's a chance that Jesus may be born in the Indian sub-continent rather than in the West. So please do let me know...

Jesus Birth [ 9 Answers ]

Was Jesus born on December 25? When no where in the Bible his date of birth is mention?

What a fool believes? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All! This is a kind of complicated story (arenīt they all?! ). I met a rather attractive but considerably younger woman (I am 37 and she is 22) and we flirted for a while and then about 5 weeks ago, we got together. We haven't slept with each other yet and I am planning on being in the...

My birth story... [ 10 Answers ]

We arrived at the hospital around five after five in the morning... Low and behold they lost my chart... This is actually pretty normal for me... lol. Happens every time. They actually wheeled me up to Labor and Delivery... hehehe. I start to get settled in and the nurse starts all the...

View more questions Search