Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetkendra Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Dec 21, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Credit for time served on a detainer for VOP
    I need help please, I have been looking and looking on the internet for days now and cannot find what I need. My fiancé was in prison for 10 years for fighting in the State of Florida, He was released on 12/13/08 from FL. The State of Tennessee which is where we live has two detainers on him for Violation of Probation on charges back in 2004, how can I help him figure out how he can get credit for time served in FL prison for the VOP here in Tennessee? Please help, Many thanks in return. I have looked for information on credit for time served, motion for post conviction etc. and am getting really frustrated in finding this information. Tennessee went to FL. And picked him up on these detainers.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:17 PM

I'm sorry to tell you that I am not aware of any time being credited like you would like it to be credited. The VOP charges have nothing to do with the charge he was incarcerated for in Florida so the time spent in Florida only gets credited for the Florida crime. He's going to have to start all over in Tennessee from zero again. The fact Tennessee got to take custody of him after he finished his sentence in Florida means that they are going to have their violation of probation hearing and decide this fate accordingly.

Dec 21, 2008, 12:23 PM

I understand this, but he has been filing in FL for the VOP in Tennessee and they kept telling him that he no longer had any detainers in Tenn, but then when he got released from FL, Tenn was right there to get him. He has been fighting this for 4 years now and his mom made about 50 calls to find out if he had any detainers in Tenn and they kept telling her NO as well. Is there anything he can do for this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetkendra View Post
    I understand this, but he has been filing in FL for the VOP in Tennessee and they kept telling him that he no longer had any detainers in Tenn, but then when he got released from FL, Tenn was right there to get him. He has been fighting this for 4 years now and his mom made about 50 calls to find out if he had any detainers in Tenn and they kept telling her NO as well. Is there anything he can do for this?

I think "Twinkie" is right. These are separate issues. I see no credit for time served. I see him entering the State and getting arrested.

Have his mother go to the Police Station and ask if there are detainers. Have them put it in writing. Then decide whether to believe the info is true.

His Florida PO - if he has one - can also check.

And I have to ask - ten years for fighting?

Dec 21, 2008, 12:41 PM

He did time for 2 + simple battery. I don't know if she got anything in writing or not, he has no PO in FL, he served all his time there. All I know is that she made many phone calls to the police station and the courts and they kept telling her NO. They have dropped these detainers. I just realized he's only done 4 years in FL. And has served time in Tennessee already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Time served in New jersey [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I go to court on Friday for a second vop. The charge that put me on probation was a disorderly persons. I was suppose to be on probation for one year and 6 months anger management. But after the firstvop they extended my probation until April of 09. I spoke to a lawyer and she said I have over...

I've just been served an unlawful detainer. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in HUD housing and when I was at work my boyfriend who was in my home was arrested for a bogus parole violation. My landlord called the police.The violation was dismissed, but now I've been served an unlawful detainer. I don't know if I will win in court,but I just need more time to move....

I've been served an Unlawful Detainer. [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: I have just been served an unlawful detainer. What steps do I take next?

Will husband just get time served or added time to probation [ 11 Answers ]

My husband's not being extradicted on probation violation. But will they add more time to his probation, or get time served or more jail time for new misdemeanor charges of canabis and pharapharnalia? So lost any info or some similar experience would be helpful thanks can't sleep until I know until...

View more questions Search