Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ded3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Changing Oil, Troy Bilt Riding Mower
    I am ded3 and new at lawn care. I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and would
    Like to know where to drain the oil in order to change it as well as an easy
    Way to get to the spark plug. Can anyone help in simple language for
    Beginner?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Use a HD-30 (a name brand please... rotella, delo, havoline or valvoline to pennzoil are good brands to use) HD stands for high detergent... (keeps the engine clean) Use HD-30 straight weight above 40 degrees F. And 5w-30 multi wieght conventional below 40... (its still a 30 weight at operating temp, just acts like a 5 for fast oil flow in the cold) OR just use a synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30 year round... why? It stands up to the heat a lot better then conventional...

Not knowing engine brand... most use aroudn 1.5 quarts... BUT fill and check the dipstick, then fill and check till its full and record the amount used if not sure...
    TO drain, there should be a quick drain on the side of the engine... did you get a clear tube with the mower? That hooks on to drain in a drain pan. Where you drain oil? Drain it in a oil drain pan (one made for engine oil) walmart carries a good one... blitz I believe... when it gets full just go to your local autoparts store or quicky lube before hand and see if they will take it.
    The spark plug... just gap and clean it once a year... (.30 should be) This engine is more then likely a OHV (over head valve) engine? The spark plug is right beside that cover... you can buy a spark plug wrench to get it out.

Btw, change the oil the first 5 hours to remove break in matter (will look like silver soup) and the second maybe 10, and then settle into 25 hours. If it has a oil filter... changing this every 50 hours is fine. Get a oil filter wrench and remove it (it will spill some oil) and pre fill the new one as good as you can, and oil the gasket and install it hand tight, then another half turn or so after... not too much, just enough to seal and not leak. Start her up and check for leaks.
    ded3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Use a HD-30 (a name brand please.... rotella, delo, havoline or valvoline to pennzoil are good brands to use) HD stands for high detergent.... (keeps the engine clean) Use HD-30 straight weight above 40 degrees F. And 5w-30 multi wieght conventional below 40.... (its still a 30 weight at operating temp, just acts like a 5 for fast oil flow in the cold) OR just use a synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30 year round..... why? it stands up to the heat alot better then conventional....

Not knowing engine brand.....most use aroudn 1.5 quarts.... BUT fill and check the dipstick, then fill and check till its full and record the amount used if not sure.....
    TO drain, there should be a quick drain on the side of the engine.... did you get a clear tube with the mower? that hooks on to drain in a drain pan. Where you drain oil? Drain it in a oil drain pan (one made for engine oil) walmart carries a good one.... blitz I beleive.... when it gets full just go to your local autoparts store or quicky lube before hand and see if they will take it.
    The spark plug.... just gap and clean it once a year..... (.30 should be) This engine is more then likely a OHV (over head valve) engine? the spark plug is right beside that cover.... you can buy a spark plug wrench to get it out.

Btw, change the oil the first 5 hours to remove break in matter (will look like silver soup) and the second maybe 10, and then settle into 25 hours. If it has a oil filter..... changing this every 50 hours is fine. Get a oil filter wrench and remove it (it will spill some oil) and pre fill the new one as good as you can, and oil the gasket and install it hand tight, then another half turn or so after... not too much, just enough to seal and not leak. Start her up and check for leaks.

Thank you so much for your help!! Your advise was right on.
    I apologize for not replying sooner, but I have to do my lawn projects
    On my day off and last week end was the earliest. Again, Thanks.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Glad to help
    suthernloc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Where do I find a replacement oil change accessory tube for troybilt pony lawn tractor?
    I lost the one that came with it. It is about 6 inches long and is shaped like a tube cut in half lengthwise. It attaches to the oil change port and the plug is unscrewed.
    Troybilt does not list it.
    Bob
    tigger13039 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Bob,
    I can loan you mine for a $200.00 deposit... or you can go to:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=troy_bilt&mn=13AN77KS011+Pony+(2010)&dn=769054 040001

and pick part 11 and add to your cart for $5.02... :)
    Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troy Bilt Riding MOwer (Bronco) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a troy bilt riding lawn mower (42 inches deck) bought last year. I am looking to put a bagger with chute on it. Do you know if a Craftsman bagger ( 6 Bushel 2 - Bin Hard Bagger for 42" Deck ) will fit? I know all most of the available mowers in the market are built by MTD, do the...

Troy Bilt Self Propelled Mower [ 8 Answers ]

I have a fairly new Troy Bilt self propelled mower. The propulsion system is not working properly. If the wheels are held off the ground they do turn but once they are set down, they do not propel the mower. I could take it in but then I wouldn't get it back for weeks. Any ideas for a "fix" I...

Troy Bilt Mower [ 8 Answers ]

Went into the garage to start the mower and nothing. Won't turn over or anything. Does that mean that battery is dead? It's about 11 months old. Troy Bilt Bronco 42" Twin-Blade Side Discharge Deck C.V.T. continuously variable transmission for simple speed shifting Cast iron front axle...

Troy-Bilt riding mower quits [ 2 Answers ]

My 1997 troy-bilt mower quits running when I disengage the break and/or engage the mower. I've been told it was a safety switch. Any tips..

View more questions Search