Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spyderman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 08:54 AM
    MTD Mower Won't start
    I have a 42" MTD Lawn Tractor, I think it is a model 682. I try to start it and nothing, I just ran it last week and it was fine. Could the battery have died that quickly? What should I replace/check? Could the ignition switch have corroded and died? Is there a way to bypass it and check? I'm just looking for the best way to proceed rather than putting in new battery and switch and... only to find out that's not what's wrong. Thanks for the help.
    Joseph
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2006, 05:17 PM
    Does it turn over? Jump the solenoid with the key in the on posistion (be careful, it'll spark so no combustibles on you.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    I have a 42" MTD Lawn Tractor, I think it is a model 682. I try to start it and nothing, I just ran it last week and it was fine. Could the battery have died that quickly? What should I replace/check? Could the ignition switch have corroded and died? Is there a way to bypass it and check? I'm just looking for the best way to proceed rather than putting in new battery and switch and....only to find out that's not what's wrong. Thanks for the help.
    Joseph
    Joseph,
    Carry your battery and have it "load" tested. And a battery can go down quickly, especially if there are young children, forgetful adults, or grandchildren around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd mower won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I just bought a used riding lawn mower. It had started fine each time I went to look at it. Looks like it was been treated well although quite dusty. I was told that it was used very little in the last few years. It is a MTD 16.5hp riding mower. So I brought it home today and mowed the front...

Mtd yardman 16.5hp mower will not start [ 41 Answers ]

I just brought home a used, but in very good shape, MTD yardman mower. It has the 16.5 hp Briggs mower with the 7-speed shift on the go tranny. It also is the industrial/commercial model. For some reason, the thing will not crank. The engine will spin and gas will go to the carb, but it acts...

Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Bolens 4.5 mower probably less than 2 yrs old. I've checked the fire from the coil and I have consistent fire, I can hear the compression. I just need to know how I inspect this carb to see if it needs rebuilding. Also where would I get the rebuild kit. Any help would be appreciated as...

Mower won't start. [ 9 Answers ]

All, I was working on the wiring on my mower, because a white wire was disconnected. It smoked from the flywheel area. I thought it was the coil, replaced that. It still doesn't start. It will turn over continually no problem. Just doesn't fire up. Could it be a switch, wiring, any ideas? ...

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

View more questions Search